Link On Premium Page Tries To Install Stuff Into My Browser

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by xorbe, Jun 23, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    If I click on Premium which takes me to
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/pages/Subscriber/

There is an "Open" button on the View Template box.

That Open button takes me to a page which starts talking and tries to get me to install an add-on, which is very suspicious.

2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I don't see any 'Open' buttons on that page unless I use a web browser without ad blocking, then there are several dodgy looking ads with 'Open' buttons.

I'm guessing it's just a malicious ad you are seeing? In which case, I thought that was par for the course for ads, from all the IT press I've read over the years. Have no practical experience of dodgy ads though myself because I have an ad blocker installed as well as javascript disabled for the major ad networks just to be safe.

As an aside, I did consider subscribing to this forum myself to help support it, but the subscription page went though some 3rd party site went which wanted lots of unnecessary personal info so didn't bother. They can have my money, but not personal info to loose/sell to criminals.

3. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    #3 xorbe, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    Yeah without an ad blocker. Now it's a "View PDF Manual" with an Open button. Google should not be serving malicious ads on this site, that's bad form for both Google and TheTriumphForum.

And they wonder why we insist on using ad blockers ... because we get served more than just ads.