Light Only Works On High Beam

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Troy92, Feb 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Troy92

Troy92 Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Leicester
    17' Speed triple

Hi guy's so over the weekend i installed a quickshifter (translogic) to the bike. My left hand light on normal beam doesn't work. Switching to high beam it comes on and also the daytime lights are unaffected. Previous bikes have all been sports so i'm not used to having to lights running at once without it being high beam. Any thoughts would be appreciated Cheers

2. Troy92

Troy92 Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Leicester
    That’s what I thought but isn’t it the same bulb as the high beam? I’m going to switch the bulbs around when I’m home and see if that changes anything

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Sounds like youve disturbed some of the wiring when you did the mods, I would goback over everything you touched / moved and recheck all the connections.

It usually turns out to be something with the last thing you worked on ......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #3 Glyn Phillips, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    This may be a silly question but is the leftt headlight only main beam and the other dipped, or are the both dual lamps?

Only asking because my Daytona had only the right headlight as dipped beam and left as main

5. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I was just thinking fuse or bulb.

6. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Most twin headlamp bikes only have one lamp lit on low beam, hi beam was the same, but it wasn't hard to make it dual lamps hi and low, just put the extra relay's in !

7. Troy92

Troy92 Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Leicester
    It’s the bulb, taken them out and switched them over for the same result on the bulb. There’s 2 springs in the bulb which explains the high beam to low beam. That’s new to me which Is why I was querying it

8. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Yes, they are H4 bulbs with two filaments, one for dip and one for main. I'd get a couple of new brighter ones if I were you, Philips Racing Vision +150% or similar

• Like Like x 1
  9. Troy92

Troy92 Member

Nov 28, 2018
    Leicester
    I’ll have a look at them thank you

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #7 Glyn Phillips, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    Seriously don’t, just use the H4’s so you can be seen by other road users rather than dazzling them so they can’t see anything!!

11. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Agree, and haven’t stronger bulbs contributed to issues with the headlamp lens overheating and going cloudy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Yes, they are H4 bulbs with two filaments, one for dip and one for main. I'd get a couple of new brighter ones if I were you, Philips Racing Vision +150% or similar
    The Philips bulbs I mentioned are H4 with the same wattage as standard. The only difference is that they produce more light and whiter light in the same area as the standard H4 bulbs, making you more visible and illuminating the same area of road more clearly.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    The problem with the production of more light is that they produce more heat ( nothing is free ) which means they run hotter part of the reason for the shorter lifespan. You will find faster deterioration of the headlamp lense ( plastic ) and also the silvering either discolours badly or burns off altogether.

Price up a set of headlamps against the small gains for the "higher output" bulbs, I think you may find the cost of new headlamp assemblies a bit off putting.

I would stick with std and do your night time riding withing those limitations.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Same wattage means same amount of heat produced. You don't get heat for free.

15. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    But you obviously get more light for free ???????

Due to the larger amount of light produced there is more heat generated its all down to the element make up, enclosing envelope and gas fill which runs hotter for the same power consumption.

16. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Same energy input, more light energy produced and therefore less heat energy produced, it's simple physics. You can't create energy from nowhere, otherwise the perpetual motion machine would be a fact rather than a fiction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Explain how the same energy input generates more light then ? + 150% ?

18. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Like I said, less heat. I give up. You win.

19. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    The higher light output is generated by running the element hotter ...... by using a different filament make up run in a different gas to facilitate a reduction in the different element "burnout ".

Different elements have different characteristics for the same power input why use Halogen as the gas in one lamp and xenon in another ?

20. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    If the components used were identical yes there is a correlation ......... once you change any one or more of the factors then you change the whole dynamic of the system and therefore the results.

21. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
  22. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
  23. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Tell you what, they don't generate more, which was your original reason for not buying them!