Led Turn Signals Filled With Water

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bret Morey, Apr 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    So I just got a Scrambler 1200XC. This past weekend I took a rather long ride up to a camp in the mountains, during my return trip I ended up driving about 100 miles in a tremendous rain storm. No issues with the ride at all, but when I got home I found that my rear turn indicators had both taken in some water. One had droplets all over the inside of the lens, the other was about half full of water. I am used to this on my other bikes, as they all have turn signals that have a small drain in the bottom, and have removable lenses. From what I can tell, the Triumpg LED signals appear to be sealed units and there doesn't seem to be any way to take the lens off to dry them out or clean them. Is this normal, or do I have bad rear turn indicators that need to be replaced?

Thanks.

-Bret

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    As it is a new bike why not take it back to the dealer and get them to check both your issues out?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bret Morey

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    I know I should, but the nearest Triumph dealership is 2 hours away (where I bought it). Normally I wouldn't complain about an excuse to go for a 4 hour ride, but it isn't the most exciting drive available, so if I can avoid it, I will. I know I should call them and ask, but my experience with dealerships has always been "bring it in and we'll take a look at it". Also right now, there is no water in the turn indicators, so I suspect they would just see that they are currently working and send me on my way.

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Water might be coming in where the wires enter, not ideal and should be sorted by the dealer but if you don’t want to go back try putting some clear silicone sealer there, it’ll probably kill all chance of the dealer replacing them if it doesn’t work though.

5. Bret Morey

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    That is a good idea Crispey, but I agree that the dealership probably won't replace them then. Given the replacement cost of the signals, I'll just have to call up the dealership and see what they can do. Old incandescent lights don't seem to get too upset over a little water as long as it doesn't hit a hot bulb and break the glass. My experience with LED lights has been very different. I've found that even short term exposure to water causes the circuit boards to corrode, and usually leads to premature failure. Given the cost of replacements and the fact that bike is brand spankin new. I'll have to call the dealership and as that they proactively replace them.

• Agree Agree x 1