Led Indicators With Drl

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Vulpes, Jan 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#41 Cyborgbot, Feb 21, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2019
    My indicators (front and rear variety) have arrived. They come shipped with bullit (male) connectors but the Tigger has molex style connectors. I have ordered (quite a few as the shipping was stupid) the following from Mouser (although RS and Farnell had them too).

1) Mouser #: 538-02-09-2118, Molex #: 02-09-2118 CRIMP PIN BULK 18-22 (this is the bit that is on the loom - internal male connector) - you don't need this unless you want some for other projects...
    2) Mouser #: 538-03-09-2011, Molex # 03-09-2011 - 1 CIRCUIT PLUG (this is the plastic case for item 1)

The bits you DO need (I think) for swapping over the bullit connector on the indicator to fit straight into the wiring loom are:

3) Mouser # 538-02-09-1119, Molex # 02-09-1119 : CRIMP SKT BULK 18-22 - this is a female pint/connector that fits into

4) Mouser # 538-03-09-1011, Molex: 03-09-1011 : 1 CIRCUIT RECEPTACLE - this is the plastic holder for item 3

I decided to get these so that I didn't need to mess about with the wiring loom and can swap back factory indicators should I need to. I just need to cut off the bullit connectors on the indicators and fit the relevant bits for the Molex variety. Ordering more than I need of these parts made sense as I do a lot of electronics projects and they seem like a good connector for vehicles - better than the shite ones you get from Halfords!

It may be necessary to widen the indicator mount holes on the bike as the factory indicators have an 'two' hole fit (one for the bolt and the other for the wire) - the diameter of the led indicator bolt might be ever so slightly larger than the Triumph one. Not sure yet though... Will update this when all fitted (and working)!

Almost forgot - you can buy a pre-made harness from https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/t...riple-1050street-triplestreet-twin-6537-p.asp

This has the right Molex fitment at one end and a female bullit connector thingy at the other. At £9.99 a pair it was better value to buy the connectors in bulk and make my own.

Damnit - One last thing - I have made a harness to take a live from the rear-position light (easy to get to) with a on/off switch. This will be used to power the white front DLR lights - by law in the UK DLR front lights must be connected to a switch - according to the Vehicle Lighting Regulations...

I was thinking about linking the dlr leds into my micro controller project.... That’s mentioned (as an after thought) in https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thr...d-tiger-headlight-unit-and-led-project.16987/
    Scroll to the bottom where there’s a nerdy bit...

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#42 Cyborgbot, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2019
    An update to my attempt of fitting LED indicators (with brake and DLR functions)...

1) I made a few harnesses to split the wiring loom so that It can work with my other 'electronics' project of extra tail lights, front DLRs etc.. Leaving the original wiring loom intact.
    IMG_3203.jpg

2) I then swapped over the bullit type connectors for the Triumph style ones.

IMG_3202.jpg

Unfortunately the flash 'cycle' of on/off is a little too fast for my type of indicators as they don't 'swipe' all the way to the end. I need to figure a way to slow the indicator cycle down a bit (or at least have the indicators 'on' for a half second longer).

I have a 2016 Tiger 800 XRX and it seems that the indicators are driven by the ECU... Does this make sense? What are all the other relays for then? There are quite a few square Omron ones...

I haven't yet fitted the LEDs until I can fix the flash rate.

Some say that I need to fit a resistor load, but even with the original indicators, the flash rate is the same as with the LEDs.

Can a service engineer tinker with the flash rate on the service computer?

Hope someone out there can help.

Cheers

Edit: If the worst happens, I can use an Arduino to monitor the indicator circuit and 'modulate' a live feed of the right on/off pattern/duration to the indicator LEDs. Kind of looking for a simpler solution first...

• Like Like x 1