Featured Led Headlights For Thunderbird (achieved!)

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by David Downes, Aug 14, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Downes

David Downes New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Hi All,

I just wanted to show you guys that after many weeks of ordering and sending back LED bulbs for my Thunderbird Commander, I finally found a set that work.

I ordered many bulbs, one was such a wide diameter that it wouldn't even fit inside the headlamp mirror assembly. Others would fit in, but had such a bulk at the rear the mirror assembly wouldn't fit back into the headlight bowl. Others that came with external power packs that I couldn't easily fit without disassembling half the bike. And yet another one that fit, went back together, but that didn't work as it should do with high/low beam illuminating the wrong parts of the road, due to a very strange triangular shaped bulb.

Anyway, the bulbs that finally worked, are these ones from amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071RBGQ6G/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_f9GGTxW6klp1a

They fit easily, went back together, have a brilliantly white light, the orientation and lighting from the bulb is as it should be, have a 3 year warranty, and best of all, the visibility at night is astonishing.

I had originally set out to just change the very yellowy light that the stock bulbs put out as a cosmetic improvement. And this can be seen below from the picture I took having changed just one bulb below. But hadn't expected to get a significant improvement in night time riding. Hopefully the attached pic (which I don't think does justice to how good it actually looked) shows it off a little.

Cheers,
    Dave

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Very useful information Dave, pictures make a big difference and do show a vast improvement

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Thanks Dave think I will definitely be changing mine.
    Tucker

4. Martinh

Martinh New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Somerset
    Hi Dave just fitted these LED bulbs to my Commander, bit tight in the nearside lamp housing but all in and working, MASSIVE DIFFERENCE . How are you getting on with yours all still working ok ? Thanks for the link on these, it saved me a lot of faffing around

5. David Downes

David Downes New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Yeah, really pleased with them still, for the first few months, I was paranoidly checking the lights low/high beam before riding out to make sure they were still working, but as time has gone on, I've gotten used to trusting that they work.

Exactly as you say, it's a bit of a squeeze (but unlike most, actually DO fit!) and the difference, is quite amazing. Really pleased with them.

In case you haven't I also changed the sidelight bulbs with LED ones, that was much easier, and makes a much smaller difference of course. I just picked those up from Halfords for about a tenner ... quickly looking, I think it might have been these ones:
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bu...s/halfords-501-filament-led-upgrade-bulbs-x-2

But do check that's the correct fitting, I don't remember for sure. But it's a super easy plug'n'play replacement.

Dave

6. Martinh

Martinh New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Somerset

7. Martinh

Martinh New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Somerset
    Thanks Dave, will get around to checking that fitment out

8. Keith McClure

Keith McClure New Member

Dec 7, 2018
    South Haven, MI USA
    Just saw your post and have been looking for new headlights for a while now for my 2014 Commander. The link in your post for amazon is not working. Do you have the brand name so I can look these up manually. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Arnie

Arnie Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Blackpool
    These look great, do they do the same that would fit my 2011 speedmaster?

10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi David, the link no longer works, any chance you could re-do it?

11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Last seen on the site 44 weeks ago.

• Thanks Thanks x 1