Led Headlight Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dave Teece, Sep 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I hate to say this, but my LED lights have started to 'flicker'
    On my pre-ride check (yes I actually do this at least once a week) I flashed the high beam and the dipped lights went out but high beam never came on, it took a good five seconds before the dipped came back. This happens for the high beam switch too. As it effects both lamps simultaneously I believe the fault is in my wiring/solenoid rather than the lamps.

I tested them a bit later into my ride again using a good reflection off the van in front of me at some lights, and they worked fine, so I guess something had warmed up and they were fine.

I need to resolve this properly before I have to ride in the dark

Just a heads up to do your pre-ride check.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #22 Vulpes, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    I've got the same issue with both lights. The DRL work fine though. My stator was recently replaced, so that can't be it. Could it be the rectifier?

3. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have a voltmeter display and with my lithium battery it shows a very constant 14.3 volts from when the engine starts (it is higher for lithium batteries)

Rectifier is brand new a few months ago

I will double check the wiring loom near the headstock, it is always a weak spot for the Speed Triple up to 2010
    Quite possible a wire is grounding out and needs some more elecy tape

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
  5. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Haven't looked yet, will try to get round to it this coming weekend

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    You any further mate? I noticed on mine that they appear to be fine before I fire up the engine - then the dipped lights virtually go away. High beams are fine. Both lamps are affected.

7. stevie28

stevie28 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Cambridgeshire
    These lights look pretty cool. I will be doing some late night shift commutes on my 08 s3. How are the lights performing after a few months use? Are they just plug and play with the Standard loom connectors?
    Cheers!

8. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Yes, just plug them in
    Regarding the mini daylight running Iight, I left the bulb in so the pins don't connect and short the fuse. This is tucked in behingd the main unit
    It is a very good upgrade

• Like Like x 1