Leaky Dipstick

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Ghriogair, Jul 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    Hi Guys, I notice after a search that the issue I am about to describe has been addressed to a certain extent, but I am wondering how many people have this issue with their Speed Triple RS, or other models?

I noticed a weep of oil from the dipstick. On closer examination I found that the rubber seal on the dipstick had deformed and for lack of a better description had gone 'soft' and didn't fit the dipstick anymore, hence the oil leak.

The rubber was actually sticking out from the dipstick and if I tried to push it back in or screw it down further it deformed more and stuck out further.

I removed the offending item and just screwed the dipstick down without the rubber which did do the job and stopped the oil weep.

On returning home I went and got the closest to the original rubber I could find, which was made out of much sturdier rubber and this has permanently fixed the issue. The dipstick doesn't screw right down anymore though so if I want a true oil reading I have to remove the rubber.

I came across another RS owner in my travels, with an almost brand new RS, he had exactly the same issue which I pointed out to him. Dipstick rubber deformed and poking out from under the dipstick, with a weep of oil.

I am wondering if anyone else has had the dipstick issue, and what Triumphs response was if they addressed it with their local dealer?

• Like Like x 2
  2. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Yuuuuup! not sure what it's going to take to have this one addressed. I brought mine explaining how the oil was weeping out of the dipstick because the gasket was warped likely from being over-tightened.

Guy who runs the place came out and agreed the gasket was warped so he has a look for another to no avail, couple mins later resolve to pull the stick off a floor model and swap mine out. We go outside and he goes, 'you wanna make sure not to tighten it too much as it doesn't need a lot of... Well damn!'. Just lightly tightening it he'd already blew the seal out the side.

It's a poor design you have to be super gentle and hold a finger against it to keep it in while putting enough tq on it to ensure it won't back itself out again. O-ring needs to be inside the seat of the stick or the base.

3. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Same here. They used a seal which was too soft. Was swapped for a harder seal.. problem solved .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Yep had mine replaced too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    Sounds like I'm going to have to make my way back for a more permanent fix.

6. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    Yep, the seal I used as a stopgap is much harder rubber and works fine, just not an exact fit.

7. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yup me too. I need to find a replacement made from firmer rubber.

8. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #8 MrTriple, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Mind did the same (over a year ago) - it was so stretched and floppy, a loop was hanging out the side of the oil cap...and that was after Triumph performed the first oil service.

I bought a pack of Nitrile 19mm ID x 3.0mm O rings on eBay and haven't had a problem since. If you're happy to PM me your address @Ghriogair, I'll send you one :)

Alternatively, if you take it back, I'm sure they will change it for you.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Ok, I own up cos I’ve said repeatedly that my bike is perfect. It’s not, the dipstick o ring does distort/ stick out if OVER tightened. When I noticed it I carefully screwed the dipstick In and it sealed fine. Only seems to happen if I do it quickly and to tight.

However it’s in for 1st year service on Thursday so will mention it.

3 hours on the new 1200 top of the range Scrambler! Will I be tempted????????

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I was :yum

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I’m after a second bike. No way would I have both at the price of new bikes though.

12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks MrTriple, that is very kind of you:). I’ll have a look at our local retailers, and if nothing there I’ll order some up. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    To be precise, the O Rings I bought were Nitrile 70 Shore Rubber 19mm ID x 3.0mm - I had to Google what (who) Shore was and learned that the '70' is the measure of hardness from 0 - 100. Triumph must have fitted '0' to our bikes ;)

I'm now an O-Ring nerd :worried:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Lol, that’s awesome. Thank you because I was wondering what that number represented when I was googling the O rings. I measured the one on the bike and it appears to be about 19.5 mm ID, but maybe it’s stretched, what do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  15. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    The ID 19mm size is correct - I found that specified on an exploded parts diagram on World Of Triumph. It also hasn’t leaked in 2,250 miles.

16. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Just reading that post in isolation could lead to a WTF icon. :worried:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I had the same thought as I attempted to describe the symptoms of “floppy and hanging out”.

This is a great resource though, for those of us that have had trouble with our dipsticks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1