Leaking Oil Around The Screw Around The Oil Filter - Speed Triple Rs 2020

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pongster, Aug 1, 2023.

1. Pongster

Pongster New Member

Oct 18, 2022
    Czech
    Hi everyone, I have a problem with leaking oil. There are three screws from the bottom around the oil filter and oil is leaking around one of them. I took a photo. Sorry for the poor quality. Nowhere in the service manual did I find out what the screws are for. I didn't try to tighten them because I don't know the torque. Thank you all for the advice.

Oil.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    The screws are sump fixings and there are 20 in total including the 3 around the oil filter. The torque is 12Nm. Are you sure it is not the oil filter seal that is leaking?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Just try grabbing the oil filter with both hands and tightening it a little bit. Wipe the oil away and then see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pongster

Pongster New Member

Oct 18, 2022
    Czech
    #4 Pongster, Aug 2, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    I tightened the oil filter to 15 Nm (manual says 10 Nm) and still leaking oil.
    A drop of oil always appears on the screw 3 (screw 1 and 2 are dry) as well. So that's why I thought the screw would be bad. Could be a bad filter seal from the factory?

5. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    You should be able to remove the oil filter for a closer look without draining the oil as it stays in the sump (there was a Triumph bulletin suggesting refilling with oil during an oil change before fitting the filter to prevent possible air locks). There will still be a small amount of oil loss from around the filter so have a drip tray ready. The rubber seal on the filter should be oiled prior to installation to prevent it puckering which could damage the seal. If the filter is not the culprit and the sump bolts are tight then it might need a new sump gasket? I noticed it is not an original Triumph oil filter?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pongster

Pongster New Member

Oct 18, 2022
    Czech
    Yes you are right. It's K&N FILTERS (KN-204-1). I will take it off to check more closely what is causing it. Thanks.

7. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    UK
    I’m with Triple X but would add
    1. When you change your oil, filling with oil without the oil filter installed and only then installing the filter is more than a suggestion, it is mandatory on this engine.
    If you fill with the filter installed you run a serious risk of an airlock in the oil pump and a totally fubarred engine.
    2. Remove the filter with the oil in situ - as Triple X says, you will need to catch a hundred mls or so of oil but with the filter off, you have better access to those bolts.
    3. Check the torque of each and tighten to 12nm. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO OVERTIGHTEN. and also, if using a clicker-type wrench, ensure you hold your torque wrench at the end of the handle (not halfway up the handle) or you WILL overtighten the bolts. MANY peeps don’t realise it is imperative to hold these wrenches at the end of the handle and not halfway up!!!!
    If the bolts leak at 12nm, they will leak at 15/17/20 but you run a serious risk of stripping out the threads !!!! You will either have to put up with the leak or have the sump gasket replaced.
    4 clean the filter mating surface on the bottom of the sump. Remove the filter gasket, clean and lightly oil both sides before replacing to the correct torque. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. If the correct torque is 10nm then tighten to 10 - not 15nm!! Better still. . . . .
    5. Do not use K&N filters as they have been associated with catastrophic filter failures and serious accidents due to bursting. This is because peeps tighten them using the nut on the end of the filter which imparts serious stresses on the filter and cause it to distort but also, can result in failure in use. There is categorically no good reason for using anything other than Triumph OEM filters - they filter the oil, don’t generally leak and don’t burst.
    Hope you trace it and get it fixed

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1