Leaking Neutral Switch

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RJinTX, Oct 11, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RJinTX

RJinTX Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Giant side of Texas
    Gentlemen,
    I have owned my 2002 Bonneville America for 10 years. She has been more fun than a new puppy & as reliable as sunrise.
    Being a 20 year old machine, & ridden regularly (especially since I retired) I expect an occasional leak of some sort.
    I am not a mechanic, & the Triumph shops I've used have had no luck tracking down an elusive oil leak that developed several months ago.

I finally decided that being a reasonably intelligent person, and nothing else demanding my time, I'm gonna find said leak.
    A couple of bottles of Dawn dish soap, every old towel in the house, a rented pressure washer, old bed sheet, and bottle of my favorite 12 year old adult beverage & put me in coach, I'm ready to play.

A couple of days of cleaning, starting the engine & getting up to a good running temp, looking, and looking, and...... spreading the bed sheet under the engine/transmission under the machine for the night, looking.....?

Ha Za!

The engine/transmission oil leak has been traced to a leak from the neutral switch.

Now my question is, the neutral switch has always functioned perfectly, the neutral light illuminates, the bike starts etc.

Is it possible that the sealing washer has succumbed to time, and is the real culprit, or can the switch developed a crack, yet still function?

I'm asking simply for my own edification because I ordered a new switch & sealing washer.

Thank you in advance for your responses

2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Can't help you mate, but I hope you get it sorted. It sounds like you're on the right track though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
  4. RJinTX

RJinTX Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Giant side of Texas