Latest Version Of Mapping

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thripster, Sep 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Having established that I can now interrogate the diagnostics on my bike and know what version is installed, how can I find out what subsequent versions have been issued and what is the latest version? As a legal aside, as the purchaser of a bike, do I have right of free access to incremental versions in the same way that I would with a bought SW package (Windows 10 for example)? Once I know what versions are available and chosen same, how do I go about obtaining it?

2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I suspect the information on software versions and updates are disseminated via dealers so you may have to get friendly with one if t’internet doesn’t provide what you want.

As for free updates, having the latest version isn’t necessarily useful. Windows updates (other operating systems are available) are usually to fix bugs and plug security flaws. MS give them away because not doing so would leave them, and their customers, exposed. You don’t have a right to the updates as such. It’s up to MS whether they charge.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Thanks Octoberon. Interesting question isn't it..........if I buy a bike and the manufacturer issues updated mapping to correct issues, improve performance should I have independent access to the new mapping if I do not wish to use Triumph for servicing?

4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    It doesn't work that way with cars so cant see it being any different with a bike ECU the std map is the finalized version for that model i know of no updates unless there is a recall to fix a major fault, older maps could be overwritten or a RAM chip fitted or a piggyback ECU fitted but that's about it these days maps are generally locked by the manufacture.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I suspect that most updates are probably not going to make much tangible difference to performance and any serious problems would be subject to a recall, but I believe you should be able to obtain and apply updates without resorting to main dealers. It's increasingly the way that manufacturers lock us in to their service cycles, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I think its a bit like owning a crapple phone....
    You think its yours and yer a proud (possibly ) owner, but as for s/w and doing what you want on it, nah.
    It's a "do as we say" issue.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    This (albeit for more functionality in cars) explains why your ECU doesn’t so much get updated software as have a facility to amend the ‘map’. This is like a look up table that gives a value for whatever combination of throttle, engine speed, lambda etc., sensors arises. Unless there is an error in the original design there is no need to change anything except for tuning purposes e.g. different exhaust.

An electronic control unit (ECU) is comprised of many different computer parts soldered onto a circuit board to make up a complete ECU. The ECU uses different kinds of memory on its computer board. These memory chips are used for different reasons and work in different ways. Some computer chips are designed to be reprogrammable and others are not. Some memory chips will keep their memory as long as power is supplied to them and others will keep their memory even if power is removed or lost.

The memory in a car’s computer ECU that holds the programming to control the running of your engine is called EEPROM or electrically erasable programmable read only memory. This memory can be programmed and reprogrammed electrically to be able to upgrade or change the programming that controls the engine functions. The chip is most commonly used for a vehicle’s calibration file to operate the engine within specifications of the manufacturer. It is a non volatile chip meaning it will keep its memory even if power is lost. The chip can be reprogrammed to change the calibration if changes are needed.

Another computer chip called ROM, or read only memory, can only be programmed once. It cannot be reprogrammed once it is programmed. This memory is used to perform basic computer operating functions only and will not be changed even if power is removed the same as the EEPROM. The ROM will store basic memory functions to operate the onboard diagnostics and other basic functions that do not need reprogramming. https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/service-light-is-on-inspection

The reprogrammability of the ECU memory has been around for over 15 years in vehicles and is used extensively in different modules and ECUs throughout the vehicle. This memory is used in transmission, ABS, body, engine, suspension, AC, ride control and other ECU modules of today’s vehicles. This memory is very reliable and rarely fails. If the program put on it is bad or needs updating, then it can be electronically erased and the new program installed. Once it is installed, the new program can be used as needed. If the chip itself has internal failures, the ROM can detect this since it checks the EPROM every time you turn on your key. If errors are found, then a code is set into the computer storage memory chip or another EEPROM.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Thanks folks. Interesting. Had seen chat (either here or elsewhere; cannot remember) about people taking their bikes in for a first service, that their bike's were 'remapped' and bikes running a lot better afterwards - I take it that those comments are hogwash? And is of concern to me as I wish to do all my own servicing.