Last film you watched.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by OnlySon, Sep 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    Parasite (기생충) (2019) - a Korean film, with subtitles. Was good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That's funny, @Markus. Between you and @Geoff Butler, I've sort of been on the same movie wavelength. The most recent film we watched was Jungle Cruise but the night before that we watched the 2nd to the last James Bond movie with Daniel Craig. We're all really looking forward to seeing the latest (and last) Bond film on the big screen. It's showing at one theatre in Tucson. Because you buy tickets online now, you can actually see how many people have purchased tickets and where they are seated--sort of like when you book airline tickets. So we may mask up and go for it! The last movie I actually saw in a movie theatre was Ford vs. Ferrari.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I find that interesting. Apparently, we have a "global connection". That is obviously in the blood of us "Triumphants". ;):grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    We watched The Power of the Dog this evening, a very unique western based on the 1967 novel by Thomas Savage with Jane Campion writing the screenplay for this 2021 movie. Slow-moving but powerful and surprising. And very beautifully filmed. We enjoyed it. Here's a review by the New York Times and the official trailer.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/movies/the-power-of-the-dog-review.html

• Like Like x 3
  5. Georgez

Georgez Senior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Pacific North West
    #1305 Georgez, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Not a film but a NETFLIX series "UNBELIEVABLE".

It is, ultimately, a harrowing tale that starts with the brutal assault and rape of an 18 year old girl and then develops into a complex story of how one young woman's life is almost shattered and destroyed by her experience of the event and the aftermath.

The telling of the story through the series, though, develops into something much wider than this single incident and its personal aftermath for the victim. It broadens into the detailed investigation of a serial rapist who is forensically aware, cunning and clever making the investigation particularly difficult and complex.

It's not exactly a "wholesome" plot for an entertainment series but a number of things make this a truly rivetting and engaging watch :-

- the quality of the acting - most especially of Kaitlyn DEVER who plays the young victim who suffers first a brutal rape and then a miscarriage of justice through the police investigation

- the depiction of the scope of the police work done by the two lead investigators

- the fact that it is, apparently, based very closely on a true story

There is, perhaps, something unsubtle but instructive about how the two different police investigations unfold but I won't pre-empt or prejudice any personal views on that - watch it and judge for yourself any underlying 'messages'.

If you have NETFLIX, I would wholeheartedly recommend watching this series .... it would have been wasted as a single movie, however well told! This format allows a much more detailed development of a number of aspects of the story and the characters involved.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    That's on my list.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I just rewatched Joker, I thought it was good first time round… if anything, it’s better on a re-watch! Pheonix is an incredible actor in it… and the direction by Philips makes such dark subject matter so watchable.
    It makes the graphic novels come to life without any overt “cartoonism” about it.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    Watched Warcraft: The beginning this weekend. I liked it, but I can see why it didn’t attract a lot of “regular” views. I played all Warcraft games in the past, so to me the story was pretty clear, but the misses had quite some questions about the plot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Biff

Biff Active Member

Jul 17, 2021
    Buckinghamshire
    Lapsis - a bit weird.

11. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I’ve not seen that one TBP… I’ll have to check it out.

13. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I agree that the filming was beautiful Sandi, together with some lovely backdrops and closeups of the horses. However, I found the story was a bit thin and arty. It wasn't a waste of 2 hours, but I felt that it fell a little short of the reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Just watched Click and Collect on Netflix… funny, harmless and very British. Sit down with a mulled wine whilst wrapping your presents to this gentle Christmas comedy!

• Like Like x 2
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Watched Peppermint on Freeview a couple of nights ago. Entertaining and a reminder if ever you needed one not to seriously piss off a woman.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Netflix, The War Below. WW1 miners tunnel across to German lines and place several hundred tons of explosives under the Messine Ridge.

• Like Like x 3
  17. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Cheers, I’ll look forward to that… I’ve read about it a few times here and there… they say it was heard back in the U.K.!!! :eek:

18. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Watched the first two episodes of 1883 the Yellowstone prequel , It's not bad but there's so much unnecessary dialogue, that at times I was getting bored with it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Jo Jo rabbit. If you just read the blurb you'd never watch it but it's absolutely brilliant.

The death of Stalin, again sounds ominous but it's a fantastic black comedy though true.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Netflix. The Nightingale. Set in 1825 Tasmania (Van Dieman's Land). Brutal story of an Irish ex con getting her revenge on a rapist.