Last film you watched.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by OnlySon, Sep 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

I haven't heard anything good about it. I was actually looking forward to it as the previous D.Craig films weren't half bad.

2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm looking forward to it but haven't been paying attention to any of the reviews--other than the ones I just read here. I'm sure I'll still make it a point to watch it as I'm a huge James Bond fan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #1263 Adie P, Oct 9, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    I saw it on Wednesday and LOVED every minute of it. Yep, there's 'hokey' moments and a less than convincing performance from the mad scientist but - as with any movie, the suspension of disbelief is a prerequisite. It's not a documentary, people!

There'll probably be an outcry about the 'twist' in the tail/tale of the double 0-7 'transfer' (and I'd probably agree with the underlying reason for any adverse comment on that) but looking overall at the movie, the performances are of a very high standard. Malek is very good; Seydoux is excellent; the Waltz cameo is perfectly understated and brilliant and Craig signs off with a superb performance (IMHO) as the best JB of all time - with a possible reservation about a couple of fight sequence "errors".

The stunt work is simply amazing - both bikes and cars - and the traditional JB intro sequence probably had a bigger budget than a lot of full length movies!

Can you tell I liked it? A lot. The only downside (for me) was an over-loud soundtrack ......... but that's probably a sign of the times (and the gerontology of my hearing!)

Recommended. :D

p.s. shamefully, I forgot to mention the stunningly good performance of the child actress ..... simply amazing. Her performance, that is - not that I forgot ... that is only to be expected from me!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Georgez

Georgez Senior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Pacific North West
    {on Youtube} For Tommy Lee Jones fans
    Emperor

5. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    The Forgotten Battle on Netflix. WW11 based on factual events. Liberation of the Schelde in SW Netherlands, opening the passage into Antwerp.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    DUNE... boring, slow and over-hyped as expected....

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#1269 Golgotha, Oct 23, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2021
    If you're looking for some kind of sensational, over the top, Sci-Fi fantasy fest a la Star Trek, Star Wars, Alien, Last Starfighter, et al, ad nauseum... any faithful rendition of Dune will only serve to disappoint. Dune so far in its handful of attempts is simply not overly reliant on action and theatrics. It's Thinking Man's Sci-Fi.

My advice- Read the fookin' book first.

If 400+ pages of heady, visceral, socio-political comentary set parallel in the extreme far future ain't your thing but you're still interested in "the hype"- grab an unabridged audiobook and absorb it during your daily commutes. If that's something you still can't pursue, watch the SyFy Channel miniseries. That version, IMHO, is the most valiant interperation of Hebert to date, despite it's crippling budget constraints. I've read the book twice- the truth hurts… SyFy delivered. I haven't seen this newest Villenueve version but from the alterations I know they've already committed for the sake of gender and race politics, it is not faithful.

There are 2 real cornerstone greats of Sci-Fi and Fantasy that should've never been modified or adjusted in any way, especially for the sake of PC'ness- LOTR and Dune. Looks like both are now guilty. I've been keeping track of Villenueve's progress at least since it was announced he got the director's slot. He promised "religious dedication to the book." I guess that was all bullshit because he clearly took some gigantic liberties.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#1270 Golgotha, Oct 24, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2021
    OK, just watched it. Still strongly disagree with the changes they made. And not so much what changes they made(especially THE main character change), but how they went about it. Unforgivable, IMHO. They also altered significant components of the plot. Some were eye-rolling, some, but not many, were actually tastefully done.

That being said, still a pretty impressive flick. The heavy weaponry was friggin' nightmare fuel. Many of the individual scenes were extremely effective psychologically and emotionally. Overall, it captures the feel of the book quite well. It relies on subtleties much more than I was expecting, and not always for the right reasons…. again- IMHO.

Just remember, don't go into it expecting an action flick, although there's a fair amount of that.

(edit) The scene on Salusa Secundus was next level. I rewatched that shit 5 times.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Maxb10

Maxb10 Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Lincoln
    Don't watch films often but went to see latest Bond film at the cinema its the first Bond I actually paid to see! It was OK but pleased I never paid for the others.
    Seen Blues Brothers many time cool film.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maxb10

Maxb10 Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Lincoln
    Motor bike?

11. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Yeah, based on a true story, definitely worth a watch!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
  13. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I definitely agree that The World's Fastest Indian is worth watching! I've seen it several times over the years and always enjoy it. In fact, I showed it at the Women's Movie Club that I used to belong to and, although not one of the other women rode motorcycles, every single one of them loved the film. :heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Georgez

Georgez Senior Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Pacific North West
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    Route666. (Amazon)

Plenty of well known faces. Maybe it was a favour for a pal. Cos its gash.

17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Watched News of the World, The Forgotten Battle and Old Henry over the last couple of days. All three films were a really good watch and I can't honestly rate them in any order. I enjoyed them all.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    Last Night in SoHo.

Quite a departure from the norm for Edgar Wright. I thought it was very well crafted, and quite intriguing.

• Like Like x 1