Last film you watched.....

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by OnlySon, Sep 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Millers Crossing, Barton Fink, The Big Lebowski actually True Grit remake all good Coen Brother's films. There are some to avoid like Hail Caesar, but generally the early films are worth a watch, just avoid later one's.

Coen brothers seem to be going the same way as Quentin Tarantino. They have been told they are so good, that any old tripe they pump out will be brilliant. The hateful 8 and ballad of buster Scruggs are just so dull you will not get those hours of your life back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Glad you provided your opinion on Ballad of Buster Scruggs, MrOrange. That one has just been removed from my "To Watch" list. I don't have enough hours left in my life to watch movies that make me want to get those hours back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I didn't think it was that bad actually. Just a bit strange. I particularly liked the segment featuring Tom Waits. But then I like Tom Waits. A Lot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

It was all a bit strange!!! I just felt I was waiting for it to start, or at least tie some bits together ( a la Pulp Fiction), maybe it did but I don't think I made it to the end as I was just so bored and disappointed.

Hate it when you see a great trailers, like the directors and then it turns out to be a turd :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, a great trailer for a crummy movie is a drag. I'd call that false advertising.

I love Pulp Fiction! It's one of my all time favorite movies. I watched it again recently since this year is the 25th anniversary of that movie. At the time, Quentin Tarantino was way ahead of his time as a director and writer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Now I thought "Ballad of Buster Scruggs" was quite good. A bit odd maybe but I enjoyed it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Weeeellll...differing opinions. Perhaps if Mr. Sandi and I are searching for a movie and have seen most everything else, based on Vulpes' and andypandy's comments, perhaps we'll give "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" a go.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Just watched it yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Look forward to the review:cool:

10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Anybody watched The Irishman yet ? Trailers look good, but been bitten many times by that one:laughing:

11. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

In the hateful eight (which I quite enjoyed) you see the destruction of a priceless vintage “Martin” guitar from the 1870’s. Kurt Russell thought it had been swapped for the stunt guitar and knocked the shit out of it, Jennifer Leigh (who knew it was the real guitar) give a genuine reaction which is kept in the film!
    Martin Guitars changed their loan policy after that!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I did - long haul, but worth it. Amazing cast, and an excellent job done on electronically rejuvenating some of these old buggers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    I was looking forward to The Irishman, being a big fan of the entire cast including director, and this being a 160 million dollars (!) movie. Sadly I only managed to watch the first hour and a half before boredom forced me to switch channel. Since I've read the second half is even slower, I am not sure I will be watching another hour and a half of old talking heads chatting and chatting (although acting is quite good of course, given the stellar cast). The CGI/aging was ridiculous, younger faces on old bodies you could tell by the way they moved....

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I'm an hour in, it's a bit slow :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

#715 DCS222, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2019
    Just watched Knives Out at the pictures, fun stuff... didn’t need the big screen, but it does make it more enjoyable

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #716 Sandi T, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    This looks appealing to me, DCS. My kind of genre. Glad to know the big screen isn't a must but that it's nice if available.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

You’ll curl your toes at Craig’s American accent though...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    American accent, DCS? We Americans don't have accents. :joy::joy::joy:

Actually, the actors in "Fargo" butchered their Minnesotan accents. So I'm well aware that we all hear each others' "accents" quite differently. ;)

Now I want to see this movie just because I want to hear Craig's American accent! :cool: I used to drive a horse & carriage in San Diego years ago. One of the things I did for fun and to pass the time was to try to identify where folks were from based on their accents. I could always pick out people from the northern Midwest (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, the Dakotas) having grown up in Minnesota .They always (ALWAYS) asked how in the world I knew they were from that area. I said it was because of their accent. Their response invariably was, "But we don't have an accent!" Then I'd reply, "Well, then it was a really good guess". :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Mel Gibson - Highlander
    Sean Connery - Hunt for Red October
    Anthony Hopkins - The worlds fastest Indian

all great films despite terrible accents... go watch knives out and enjoy

• Like Like x 2
  20. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I loved Fargo btw, and the subsequent series!!! Oh Geez!

• Agree Agree x 2