Featured Land Speed Racing 2023

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by speedrattle, Feb 18, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    heres where we sre

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21/46 on tbe final drive. i run s 32?/68 newby in theprimary, not quite stock but close. i have better sprockets to tun with the 17 inch wheels, but life is short.

2. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    carbs are still the ancient 35mm keihin fcrs

[​IMG]

jetted for 112 octane c12, but i can switch to 116 q16 if i neef to. the fcr carbs are old, 30 or 40 years, but still ightyears better than concentrics, imo

3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @speedrattle

Have a great time in Maine! Looking forward to your reports. Just so you know, your photos didn't come through in your last several posts. They show up as tiny little postage stamp sized images with a big red X over them. NOW I'm curious!

• Like Like x 2
  4. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    i cant make em post

[​IMG]

5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That photo came up this time! Did you do something differently?? Maybe it's something on my computer/my end. Hmmm...

6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @speedrattle

But after I clicked Post on my response, the photo disappeared again. Maybe our Admin, @Havit, can figure it out??

7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Very strange, try reposting

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I can't see the pictures either but this is a fascinating thread. Looking forward to more of it :cool:

9. DaveQ

DaveQ Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2022
    Surrey. England
    Looking forward to see how it goes.

Best of luck! :)

(same for me with the photos I’m afraid)

10. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    here is an imgur image with the url cpy/pasted from a functioning image on a simple machines forum elsewhere

[​IMG]

its the same as one of the images i tried t post above

11. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    . . . and it does not post.

here is an image from imgur that i posted in this thread on 03 march 2023.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    and here is an image successfully posted in this thread on 03 march 2023. i copied the url directly from the edit window in the post. it still appears there successfully

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    [​IMG]

whereas this url does not work.

something has changed in imgur or in this forum regarding imgur posts since 03 march 2023. images from imgur uploaded here earlier than that still appear, and i can copy and paste the url from ealier triumphforum posts and the image will still appear. but anything uploaded from imgur since then, either internally from triumphforum or externally from simple machines, will not post successfully.

14. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #54 speedrattle, Jul 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    at any rate, today is the last day to do anything without going bonkers from stress. i am taking a break from the triumph and sipping a bit of mezcal.

i avoid the worm, by the way. people who eat the worm are shamming that it tastes okay. the worm tastes like shit. just sayin.

ive put in and adjusted the newby clutch. i do it by eye and have always done triumph pressure plate run out by eye. this time i decided to be more exact, and put a dial indicator on it, and the run out was less than four thousandths. so i said, who am i kidding, and put the dial indicator away.

installed all the plug wires. the ARD -magneto will run either single fire or dual fire, which means you can install a single lead coil and a rotor to shoot left and right separately, or put in a twin lead coil and shoot both sides at once, with a waste spark. ive run this machine both ways.

i have four spark plugs in the cylinder head, and forked plug wires from morris magneto with a diode set up, and a dual lead coil. so my magneto fires every 360 degrees, four sparks at once to the four plugs. lots of electrons needed for that, but the ancient fairbanks morse magneto in the ARD does it just fine, all the way to 9000 rpm, although i dont go there except in the red mist. i run 30 BTDC because of the improved combustion. it will detonate at 38, even with twin plugs, 11.75 to 1 running c12 112 octane.

i run 30 BTDC on my 4-plug 1972 T120, as well, and it happily takes 87 american octane unleaded regular at 9.5 to 1. americans average research and motor octane. so this is like UK 85 or 86 motor octane.

anyway i have to weld a broken exhaust pipe, put the tanks on, adjust the chain, and its done. then i just start it and make sure it idles well enough to open the throttle. LSR is easy here. low end and midrange is unnecessary unless youre an artist. all you need to do is keep it running well enough to accept full throttle, and then its WFO all the way.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Wow, what a job, @speedrattle! And I'm talking about the bike, and not the mezcal (although the mezcal "job" is more up my alley). It's probably a stereotype but isn't moonshine the beverage of choice in Appalachia? ;) But then, I guess some that might mean some would think all I'd drink is tequila being from Arizona and only 60 miles from Mexico. :joy: BTW, I really like a good mezcal but buy the bottles without the worm. :yum

Thanks for keeping us posted on the 2023 land speed efforts.

Oh, re. your photos, what is "imgur". I'm not familiar with that from the photo or tech world. I don't ever copy and past a url. I just drag and drop photos from my desktop onto the forum posting area in my message. Or if I click the "upload a file" option I can select the file from a list of files. I've found the former method to be more reliable, though. Most commonly I drag a photo from my Photos program onto my laptop desk top then drag it onto the forum page. Are you using a phone, tablet, laptop or desktop? I'm hoping you can figure it out because I love your photos. :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    lol

sandi, i spent years under the mogollon, so i know about where you are. spent time in the santa catalinas and pinalenos as well. not nearly enough.

imgur is an image hosting site like photobucket or pinterest. its got lots of noise from people who lke to post memes, but its quick to upload photos to. once theyre up there, you can copy/paste the url to anywhere you want. i take pictures with my telephoone, upload them to imgur, and then post with a laptop, generally. imgur is picky about browsers, so sometimes i upload with one browser, and insert the url into a post with another.

test:

[​IMG]

nope

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    lets try jusr upoading frm the phone

20230701_174821.jpg

well that is better

• Like Like x 1
  18. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #58 speedrattle, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    20230701_174852.jpg

this works, but its very clumsy and does not allow me to post an older image stored on a hosti g site

these are the 35mm FCR carbs i use.

had a difficult moment this afternoon. got the bike all together, put fuel in tbe tanks, then it wouldnt start.

it would backfire, so i knew it had fuel and some sort of spark somewhere, but it would not run. i pulled the timing cover off and dissassembled the magneto, looking for am issue, but it was fine. i did file the points, but that should not have been a problem.

so i popped tbe caps off and readjusted the valves, a ten minute job. when i cranked the bike over agsin with the starter motor, it fired right up. go figure. i know how to adjust valves, or at least i think i do.

anyway, the base timing was 36 btdc, so i retarded it to 30 and put the covers back on.

we're golden

20230701_174852.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #59 speedrattle, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    ppl 20230701_174857.jpg
    i use a primary from bob newby. indestructable. i once smoked the plates, blocksanded em and put em back. im still running them now.

20230701_175050.jpg

i have the front pulley marked at TDC and 38. i use a dial back to zero timing ight, and i have the ARD magneto modified for about 10 degrees of adjustability, so timing the ignition is a five minute job on a running motor.

20230702_195046.jpg

heres what it looks like done except for the final drive chain. have to take it off tbe lift for that as the shocks are short.

20230702_195202.jpg

the riding position is with my face between the upper and lower triple clamps. so the tach can be seen only between the fork legs below the upper clamp. if i habe the tach in the stock osition its literally above my head during a run and is without value.

long day and a bit of stress because the machine was uncooperative. im headed for the rsck. we ll be leaving in one week.

1183 miles to get to the race course.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DaveQ

DaveQ Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2022
    Surrey. England
    Getting the photos now.

It looks formidable, especially the carburettors.

Re your search for the extra 4mph, and asking from a position of pure ignorance, did you ever consider water injection? Or isn’t that allowed either?

Dave.