Kickstarter stucked

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Eirik, May 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eirik

Eirik New Member

May 9, 2016
    Norway
    Hi. As I was trying to start my 1960 Bonneville the kick starter suddenly refused to go down. This was before it fired and the previous kick was fine. If I pull inn the clutch it goes down without resistance. Do anyone have any experience with this?

Regards a Norwegian enthusiast :)

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi Eirik - welcome to the forum.
    No experience of this myself on a Triumph. I have a kick start on the Enfield and yes, pulling in the clutch will disengage it but the Enfield has a decompression lever you can release to enable the kick start to move.

3. Eirik

Eirik New Member

May 9, 2016
    Norway
    Thanks for quick reply. Well I don't have any decompression lever, so that is not an issue for me. I just think that if the kick is moving with the clutch depressed, maybe that's indicate that the gearbox is fine and it its the engine who is not turning? Maybe remove the chain between the gear and engine is a start? Than I will se which is moving and not.

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Possibly - can you turn the engine over by hand with the plugs removed?

5. Eirik

Eirik New Member

May 9, 2016
    Norway
    It looks like its the engine which is the cause. Clutch operating fine, and gear as well. Have the head of, so no valve problem. Next now is to remove the cylinder.