Kickstand U Turns

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Old phart phred, Aug 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    All my previous bikes had steel kickstands and I am used to spinning them around 180 degrees in the garage or parking lots by leaning them over onto the kickstand so both tires are off the ground and pivoting them around on the kickstand. Never had an issue. My new street triple has an alloy kickstand and brackets. Has anyone had an issue doing this?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Can vouch for the alloy stand but it’s a trick I do on all my bikes even my heavy bmw boxer!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Daytona 675 and Thruxton 1200 no problems at all, I always turn the bikes 180 degrees on the stand

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Interesting trick. My Tigers side stand flexes and bends in a gentle breeze. Not sure I’d trust it to a 180

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Thanks for your replies, and will inspect stand at oil change intrevals. I typically spin it just after I shed my gear and before I break out a COLD brew.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I was told many, many years ago by a wise biker who was older then than I am now (and that REALLY is saying something!) NEVER lever the weight of the 'bike onto the side (kick) stand if you can possibly avoid it. It may well be OK for occasional and/or unavoidable use but frequent use is likely to splay the stand lugs, bend the frame rail or both.

I've closely followed his advice ever since as I don't want to repeat the problem I had with a Commando - a problem which caused the advice to be received in the first place! Your experience may very well differ. I hope so.:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I had a 765RS and did this all the time as my drive is narrow, never had a problem on that or any other bike I have done it with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    No problem with that at all, metals are probably stronger these days though

9. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    Never had a problem with a Triumph, but KTM 525 EXC snapped straight off!
    The replacement also snapped in normal use.

10. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I often ‘mount’ Tigger (OooooEeerrr) when the side stand is down - left foot on left peg and swing my short stumpy right leg over the saddle. Then kick up the stand.

Hasn’t broken yet...

A stationary u turn can’t be any worse than me putting all my weight (and the bike’s) through the side stand?

11. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    I think a lot depends on the angle and length of the side stand, more upright in normal use, the weight is pushed down through the stand.
    On an angle when the bike is being spun round, the stress is put across the stand rather than through it.
    A bit like standing on a stick between two bricks, its down to how strong the stick is.
    KTM sticks are lightweight cast aluminium

12. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    I would be wary of doing this to the early triples (T300). The sidestand is bolted to the engine and not the frame as was the norm in days gone by.
    As for ktm I have seen several people with broken stands, one of whom was sat waiting for the A.A.cause the part that fell off actuated the switch for the ignition interlock.

• Like Like x 1