K&n Oil Filter Failure

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by horned one, May 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi DD,
    The top picture clearly shows the several spot welds but is leaving a gap of ~0.5mm between the domed main body and the incorrect flat form of the 'washer' part of the nut.
    Middle picture again shows the flat washer not correctly fitting the dome form of the main body.
    Bottom picture shows a dome shaped 'washer' correctly fitting the dome shape of the main body.
    The spot weld technique of assembly would only create a leak free joint in the bottom picture example.

• Like Like x 3
  2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Can you not get a refund from where you bought them DD ?
    K & N by the sound of it have no interest in dealing with customer complaints which may eventually be their downfall.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Then I guess we should spread this as far as possible to bring it to the attention of anyone that may be put in danger

• Like Like x 3
  4. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    How long have you had them DD and can you not get a refund if you bought them in error,maybe swap for air filters

• Like Like x 1
  5. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Just a thought is there any way of pressure testing the ones you have?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I am really sorry to hear about your misfortune and hope that whatever noise you hear in the top is minimal damage. There is many testimonials about after market filters and people that have been and still are using them. I for one stick with OEM come hell or high water.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    So pressure testing not possible,just for peace of mind?

• Like Like x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    That is a lot of inventory DD :eek:
    'Lean' principles need to be applied in the DD workshop. :p

• Like Like x 2
  9. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    But you've used them for years without a problem and you would only have to test before you put it on and it didn't hold pressure you would know it was a dodgy one,maybe??

• Like Like x 1
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Bogg,
    To be honest, there is no way that I would ever buy or fit a filter that I felt the need to pressure test.
    Reasons:
    1) Expense and time of knocking a suitable test unit up.
    (The test unit unless real R&D quality would not simulate the heats/pressures of an engine)
    2) Having to implement a product quality check because of the manufacturers poor design, poor manufacturing and lack of quality control.
    3) I would never have full piece of mind on a most important engine component.
    4) Quick Risk Assessment tells me there is a possibility of death if the filter fails while I am riding.
    5) Lastly, why the F**k should I when there are other filters available that can be used straight from the box ?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Although not a K&N oil filter, Delboy's Garage Youtube Channel recently posted a video where Delboy was comparing a K&N air filter (which had always rated to a new make and the new make was far better made and far better quality....... (I've forgotten the make now, but look on Delboy's channel).
    Looks looks K&N filters are not the quality they once were????

• Like Like x 3
  12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just you might like to see these quality K&N filters being made :

• Like Like x 2
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Very, very interesting.
    I was surprised to see so many manual operations within such a high volume industry.
    A highly informative video which surprised me how much they were actually allowing their competitors to see.
    I love watching stuff like that, thanks biglad.

• Like Like x 2
  14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I just thought it was quite ironic to see how supposedly well-made they are, in view of this thread topic.

All these industrial vids are worth a watch though. My particular favorites are based in car and bike factories.

• Like Like x 1
  15. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    Hi all, sorry for causing all this paranoia, I just wanted to know if anyone had the same thing happen to them. From all the posts it seems no-one has, thank god; but it has happened to others in the past. Maybe it is a long odds kind of failure.
    For myself I will no longer use any filter that comes with a welded on nut, K&N, or other manufacturer; as one member mentioned; "It's over-engineered".

I have the bike in the shop now and the prognosis is not good, at the least I'm looking at big-end bearings, possibly crankshaft bearings too. I checked cams and valves myself and all was good there.

I am trying to find some consolation in the fact that at least I didn't crash and get hurt, as 10 mins previous to the failure I was happily bombing along the M4, and if it had gone there, I prob'ly wouldn't be typing this right now.

What this does highlight is that we should not take even the smallest, least significant parts we fit on our bikes for granted, what we do is dangerous enough without adding any further jeopardy.

I will keep you posted on developments, both with the bike damage and my dealings with K&N. Thanks to all who commented and shared info.

P.S Anyone know of a cheap hack/rat bike for sale?

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  16. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Sorry to hear that the diagnosis is not good - but as you say it could have been much worse.:(

• Like Like x 1
  17. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Ouch that will cost a bit to sort. Would it be worth seeing I K&N are liable as their filter failed?

• Like Like x 1
  18. horned one

horned one Member

Jul 29, 2016
    rhondda
    O.K. Just to hopefully close this nasty tale of woe with a happily ever after.

Bike is now back on the road, better than before and all costs (over £2500) met in full by K&N, who, I have to say were brilliant to deal with. Won't say a word against them, but won't fit a filter with a nut on (whoever the maker) ever again.

Thanks to all for concerns and advice.

• Like Like x 11
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  19. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I will definitly avoid nut jobs in the future too then
    Thanks for the info, shame you had to go through all this trouble but hopefully many others will benefit from this because of your experience.
    Truly glad K&N coughed up and covered your costs.

I wounder if there should be a full recall!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Always used OE so never been a problem for me im glad to say.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1