Featured Just Got Another One - Dooooohh!

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Thorcusmodee, Jul 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    I'm not quite sure how this happened but I got another project last night - a 1998 900 Trophy with knackered clutch. Went to look at it and it wouldn't start, got it for a pittance, started her up this morning, sounds like a bag of spanners at the top end. It's been sat for years so could just be something stuck. The oil doesn't look too clever but it builds up pressure at turning over speed. It has a full set of panniers with it, bottom end sounds ok, although not sure I would hear anything over the noise the top end is making :) I'm just taking the bodywork off so I can get a better listen. Will then dump the oil and see if there is anything nasty in there like bits of piston / con rod etc. If there is she will be scrapped, if not I will look at the top end and see what I can find. It's all jolly good fun. The Trident is nearly done now, I'm on to paintwork, everything else more or less is now there.

• Like Like x 5
  2. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    That sounds like fun. I'm green my friend, as I too am currently looking for a project. My quest continues. Good luck with yours!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    All the t300 motors are noisy, if its quiet at the top end the valves are too tight.

You also need to look at the cam chain tensioner spring all of the triumph springs are getting too short the minimum is 73.7 mm free length, replacements are available from sprint manufacturing.

If you remove the plug for the spring ( NOT the whole tensioner 2 x 10mm ) either 17 or 19mm you can remove the spring to check it without disturbing the cam chain tension.

Whilst youre at it the top oil feed banjo bolt on the RHS rear of the cylinder head needs to be checked to make sure its the modified type ( smaller feed hole ) to help improve bottom end oil pressure ( T1210240 ).

Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    Thanks Nigel, my trident is slightly tappy but certainly not annoyingly so. This one sounds like Philthy Animal Taylor out of Motorhead banging a radiator with a stilson. I just had a look in there, can't see anything out of the ordinary but the workshop pixies (vermin) have hidden my two feeler gauges so can't check clearances properly at the moment. The cam chain looks right, can't detect any undue slop in there. I'm going to drain her sump next and have a look at the clutch, will check the tensioner spring at the same time. hopefully by then I will get an idea of how to progress. thanks again for how freely you share your expertise!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    No problem with the info, youre welcome to it.

Don't forget the banjo bolts on the oil feed ..... they're about £ 7 each, but cheaper than a bottom end :)

• Like Like x 2