Jerky First Gear

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Jimmies, Jul 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jimmies

Jimmies New Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Yorkshire
    I have a new (to me) Speed Triple and it's great, I'm not sure if this a 'standard' experience of something I could smooth out but the initial application of power from idle is quite jerky and abrupt when at low revs - which makes for slow moving/filtering 'fun'

Some context, is that I'm newly back to biking but I don't ever remember my old 748 and 996 being like this.....but that said it could just be me getting used to riding again

Once past the initial low revs, it runs nice and smooth. The only thing not standard are the high level Arrow cans, there is a more than expected amount of slack in the beginning of the throttle movement that I will try and tighten up to see if it makes any difference but your views would also be appriciated

Cheers

2. Jimmies

Jimmies New Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Yorkshire
    Hi andyc1 - It's a 2011, not sure if it has been re-mapped at all

3. Jimmies

Jimmies New Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Yorkshire
    will do

cheers

4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I had a 2015, which was snatchy from idle. The demo I tried was the same, my mates 2014 was the same.
    So I guess a caricteristic of the bike

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Double check clutch freeplay in the cable, iirc should be about 5mm freeplay

Chech chain tension, if it is too loose it could cause snatch pick up

Due to Euro4 environmental legislation, there may be a dip in the fuel map around 3k to 4k revs, I know there is on my 2010 Speed Triple
    Keep revs just above that area and feather the clutch as you pull away/filter

6. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Had mine taken to be put on the dyno and remapped last year, made it much smoother with more punch in the midrange, upped it from 125 to 138 bhp too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    My RS splutters around 3k rpm, feels like a lack in in fuel. I thought it maybe due to euro regs and your comment as confirmed that. I think I will get it remapped at some point