Thruxton Jacking Up Front

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by TonyG, Dec 16, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

I presume it is ok to jack up a 1200 Thruxton at the front under the frame rails? There seems to be 2 lugs at the front as well, so would they be a good point to pick?

Just want to remove the front wheel to replace the discs. Another question, is there any need to tap out the carrier holes for the disc mounting to remove any old threadlock, as I don't have any taps?

Thanks

Tony

2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Jacking up the bike with the frame rails shouldn't be a problem. Just use make sure no weight is on the engine or exhaust etc. Supporting the rear of the bike on a paddock stand will help stability and share the weight.
    Just clean the disc bolts of old loctite, the holes should be OK. If you must clean them out use a thread chaser, not a tap. A tap will also remove some metal from the threads no matter how careful you are, unlike a chaser.

3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks.
    I haven't got a paddock stand but do have one of those little scissor jacks with 2 little U shaped stands on it, one for each frame rail. Hopefully that will be stable enough alone at the front, I'm sure I've lifted front of my 865 Bonnie before like that.

4. NatM

NatM New Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Bushmills
    IMG_20221217_124008.jpg

5. nickjaxe

nickjaxe Active Member

Sep 2, 2020
    Cheshire UK
    My bike has a rear stand.....so with it on its rear stand then with my trolley jack and a length of wood across the 2 frame wheels far forward as is safe I lift the front like that....

6. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I only have a scissor jack with 2 u shaped attachments which can be adjusted to cradle the 2 frame rails. I think I will just jack it behind the 2 bash plate mounting brackets at the front of the frame. I don't have anything to steady the rear wheel with but tried it out on my 865 Bonneville and that seemed secure enough for removing the front wheel. I'll loosen the axle etc., before jacking it up, and likewise torque it down after dropping it down off the jack so won't be doing anything more active than removing the axle and wheel.
    Thanks

7. FellZebra

FellZebra First Class Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Had the forks out of mine once. To do this I bolted a longer than frame width piece of angle iron across those 2 lugs on the lower frame and then jacked it up and put it on axle stands. This combined with rear paddock stand was very stable.

1D47636B-F88E-4E60-9B18-E8EC34435872.jpeg

8. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    That's a good idea about bolting a bar to the mounting lugs.
    On another point, do you have to remove the rear wheel to get the rear caliper off for cleaning and a pad change?

9. FellZebra

FellZebra First Class Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Yes, a pad change is a wheel out job unfortunately. Not the best design but far easier with a rear paddock stand

10. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    If you plan on doing your own servicing and repairs it may be worth seriously thinking of buying an Abba Stand, if it's a quick job I use Moto GP front and rear stands.

thumbnail_IMG_1508.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1509.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I treated myself to an ABBA Skylift some years back for the ZZR. They're quite expensive but very versatile, especially with a heavy bike like the Z.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ge-Minigun

Ge-Minigun Active Member

Sep 20, 2021
    Virginia (USA)
    The ABBA is nice, but no love for the Thruxton...cheaper than a front and rear stand.

13. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    When I bought the Thruxton I already had an ABBA stand for my VTR so made some adaptors to suit. Used in conjunction with a bottle jack and a piece of wood it makes a very stable lift that is great for long jobs where the bike has to be in the air for a few days.

Recently treated myself to a cheap hydraulic lift as I plan to pull the swing arm out. I am not totally confident about the stability when raised but it is certainly convenient.

20200928_161908.jpeg

IMG_1268.jpeg

14. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I use jack and a a bit of two-by-four under the engine cradle and if I need extra stability lower that onto a few bricks. Together with a rear paddock stand that lets me get either wheel off. However, when I needed to get rear suspension out, needed to buy a front paddock stand as well....

1.jpg

(Rear stand above is just taking weight of dangling swingarm)

15. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks everyone.
    I tried jacking it up with my scissor jack and the 2 U shaped mounts on the frame rails just behind the bash plate brackets. It seemed steady enough for my purposes, I'll also put a block of wood in each end of the scissor jack in case it fails. I could just use the jack without the U shaped mounts across the 2 bash plate brackets, but they seemed more delicate than the actual frame mounts.
    Happy Christmas.