It finally happend - Wiped out

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Red Thunder, Mar 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RoadSprocket

RoadSprocket Active Member

May 24, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Glad your ok! Definitely get the bike looked at before buying those parts bud, look for any unusual/bigger gaps between the frame and tank.. also around the seat. These are normally signs the frames shifted.

I thought I got away with it on my zx6rr when I had a head-on with a HGV, was going to stunt-bike it as a toy.. but it was only when i had a close look.. I got off what was left of the plastics and took the tank off I found 2 cracks approximately 2inches high by half an inch wide being the worse and a flat spot on the main frame as it crumbled into itself on impact... it explained why the seat wouldn't go on properly because the frame had shifted back so much.

At the end of the day I know you're gutted about the bike, but the insurance will sort it.. flesh & bones are more important and harder to replace than metal!

• Like Like x 3
  2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Thanks for sharing the video RT
    I think it will help us all be that bit more careful and aware of what can happen in the blink of an eye.
    Hope it all gets sorted soon for you with the minimum of hassle.

• Like Like x 3
  3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Hey RT....just saw this man. I am so sorry to hear this but I am glad you are ok. The most important thing is you are around to fix your bike and continue to enjoy riding her.

Insurance companies will try to shaft you meaning they might push for 50/50 liability. You just need to ensure you document everything and stick to your statement. As for buying back/pay out they will try to mess you about. I believe you get 3 chances to agree on a price then it goes to court (time consuming). Start collating bike prices and all the declared upgrades/cost, maintenance cost etc in a proper documented way. The cam is your strongest witness to what has happened. It's good that you have taken the initiative to get it checked to find out how the insurance company will interpret it. Cover yourself from all angles in paperwork wise, prices, witnesses etc.

All the best buddy. Keep up posted.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #44 Havit, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    I see this and thought of you RT
    FB_IMG_1489525304283.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Cheers guys
    I just heard back from the Triumph garage, they say it wiould be a write off
    Repairs are above estimated value of the bike.
    Being a 2010 bike with 40k on the clock they reckon it is worth about £3,500
    Well I am not going to accept that from the insurers. I have printed off about 6 adverts on Autotrader with bikes near the same age and milage arount 20-25k, one 2011 bike has 65k miles and they are asking £5k and it doesnt have the Arrow exhaust or other official extras.

Mine has the Nitron R3 shock, new springs and pistons on the front suspension, carbon bits and triumph resevoirs, brake levers and LED indicators plus £400 forthe dyno tune a few months back. When I had the valves checked a few thou miles ago Triumph guys said it was as if it had just come out the factory. All in about £3k of stuff including the Arrow exhausts.

So if they offer me £3.5k for the bike, I want a further £2k+ for all the bits I would have to buy again.
    Plus the helmet, new glasses and gloves.

This may turn go on a while!

6. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I really want to stay with the 2010 se, but if one just isn't available what would be a good alternative..
    As in, which year. I remember hearing the 2011 was a bit hit or miss.

• Like Like x 1
  7. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Where is the bike currently at? If it is with you, I will start removing all the goodies.

Did you declare all the upgrades to the insurance company? If you have then you need to check your documents for the following:

Some insurance: Will replace like for like upgrade parts. So the payout will take the upgrades into consideration

Some such as MCE: Will replace the upgrade with only OEM std parts. Meaning they won't take the upgrades to value the bike for a settlement figure.

2011 model is a good option. If you can spare some more cash then I would go for 2011+ R version.

8. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Hi Red Thunder. Sorry to hear about this, glad you walked away.

I've just been through all this in December having been taken out by a pensioner on a roundabout (he didn't give way)

Some great tips above about checking your policy and what you are covered for. Also have you listed business, commuting or leisure riding on the policy as you may be asked about the purpose of the journey.

My 2011 R (old mode) with under 10,000 was listed at £4600 with some extras if this helps. PM me if you want any details around my experience from my recent claim.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Well if you were to post it on Autotrader for a silly high price around £6,250 and say it has 40k miles on the clock. I would reference that as a benchmark for the payout:eek::D

To be honest I would be interested, but need to know what I can get from the insurers

10. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    #50 gazzatheyid, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    I'm assuming yours is a Street Triple if not I'm in completely the wrong ball park o_O

Did you hit the deck? Even in a light impact helmet is standard replacement. Any damage you can demonstrate to your gear they should be replacing (or check your policy first in case you won't get this back should liability not be agreed). if you are claiming on your insurance better to go in full for everything you believe needs replacing from the accident as your policy will go up regardless once you've started a claim. I believe you have up to 3 years or something silly to claim if you want to hold fire if you haven't got coverage.

If they are found liable any loss of time should be reasonably compensated i.e have you lost work time/holiday or incurred travel expenses sorting this out. Document everything you do in relation to the claim so phone calls & bills/travel time/petrol receipts.

Take photos of your gear should you need this later. Armour could be compromised even if the damage is not apparent. It'd probably cost the insurer more to inspect your gear so I'd say more then likely they would just replace (with evidence such as photos).

To speed up the claim make it as easy as possible for them by providing internet links to similar replacements and any receipts you have.

Don't accept the first offer on the bike (as you don't seem to have), if you can demonstrate the availability (in your area) of bikes are not in line with the insurers estimate you may have a case. This can become a drawn out affair, be prepared for this!

Just reiterating what's been said really from R_1000 and the guys. Help on here was great when I needed advice before.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Sorry to hear and see your spill; the video is a real chiller. Really glad you walked away and good luck with the insurance claim.
    Wessa

12. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    Glad your ok and erverything works out ok

13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Finally !!!
    Today I have received confirmation the other party are accepting 100% responsibility
    Just need them to accept the settlement offer and I can get the payout for uninsured losses

None of this would have been possible if I had not caught the incident on camera. I can't praise the Drift cameras enough, without the footage i would have had to accept 50% liability for a potential £30k settlement of her car and my bike write off.
    If you can, do have a camera safely mounted in a position that would capture any incident.

Now I keep my no claims discount and recover uninsured losses plus personal injury worth up to £2,000

• Like Like x 14
  14. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Nice one buddy :)

15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Good stuff mate

16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi RT so glad that you are not to seriously hurt. Sounds like you will repair quite quickly, unlike the bike. Your experience is a powerful reminder to us all of the dangers of filtering. I have done my share today going into and out of Manchester along the M56. If I go on the bike tomorrow I will remeber this thread...
    Wessa

17. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i bet that's a relief for you,nice one:)

18. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I also have a camera in my car. Caught my neighbor in the car park who is head of the neighborhood watch scratching my car and another with a key causing £2,000 damage.
    Some sort of 'senior moment'
    These cameras can literally be worth their weight in gold.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    What a twat!
    What was he doing, checking to see if the other members were doing their job ?

20. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    'She' was taken away by the police, with the footage on DVD as evidence
    She denied it was her until they showed her the DVD at 3am.
    They then released her with just a caution, not even conditional that she pays for the damage!
    It took a month for me and the other neighbor to get the cash from her
    That was a few years ago now and no more cars have been scratched

• Like Like x 2