Isle Of Man Tt

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Easy Tiger, May 24, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Pegscraper, NI now has reciprocal arrangements with the UK for driving offences when disqualifications are imposed in NI they are effective on a UK licence. On the 30th October 2015 the UK and Ireland signed an agreement on Mutual Recognition of Driving Disqualifications. This agreement replaces the 1998 European Convention on Driving Disqualifications which the UK opted out of as part of the block opt-out from the Treaty of Lisbon on 1 December 2014. The Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015 has amended the Crime (International Co-Operation) Act 2003 and now provides the mechanism by which the agreement (between the UK and Ireland) is given legal effect. The mutual recognition of driving disqualifications came into force on 1 August 2017. From 11 October 2004 the holder of a GB Driving Licence committing a road traffic offence in Northern Ireland can avail of the Fixed Penalty System in Northern Ireland. The legislation facilitates endorsement of a GB Licence for a road traffic offence committed in Northern Ireland for which the fixed penalty procedure is applied. When a driver surrenders a GB Licence to the Police in GB, the Police in NI (PSNI) or the Fixed Penalty Office (NI), a NI counterpart will be raised with Driving Vehicle Licensing NI and it is this counterpart rather than the GB Licence that is endorsed. The NI Counterpart must be kept with the GB Licence for future reference. It gets even more complicated if a person then appears in a UK Court for driving offences that carry penalty points, the Court can then look at the at the drivers/riders record as a whole (is this person a prolific speeder).

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Back to the TT thread, I can see Glen Irwin achieving a 130mph plus lap in race week (starts tomorrow). He has certainly done plenty of groundwork to prepare himself for his TT debut , who will take the top step in tomorrows Superbike race who knows, I think it will be a close run 6 laps.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    With two Superbike wins at the NW and some good results in BSB he certainly has good credentials but he's still a TT newcomer. I just hope he has a good event free TT:). If conditions are just right I can see Peter Hickman's lap record being bettered, possibly by the man himself but as ever with the TT, perfect conditions all round the course can be a big ask!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Perfect conditions for today's opening Superbike race, it scheduled to start at 12 noon, with the first sidecar race to go at 3pm. Dean is right on the pace along with Davey Todd, and Michael Dunlop who could well throw up some surprises. Davey Todd had a massive engine blow up last night on the mountain section, he got a lift on the back of a marshal's enduro bike, half way to the Creg they stopped and Davey took control, I bet that put the fear of god into the marshal (DT is a great enduro rider), I understand he ran part way back to the pits, he had rung Clive Padgett to explain what had taken place, Clive had a machine ready and waiting so Davey could get back out for a final lap. There are so many great riders it is hard to predict, I am really pleased for John McGuiness who starts his 100th TT today, and John is going really well. Davey Todd was quickest through the Sulby speed trap at 193mph, a number of other riders posted similar speeds, I am sure we will see 208 or 210mph through either Sulby or the run down from the Creg to Brandish.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Really sorry to read about Mark Purslow RIP.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Sidecar race red flagged on the first lap. Don't know who was involved. I fear there may be a fatality, hence why there was no more racing today.

I believe the accident happened at the jump after Ago's, where Selborne Drive meets Quarter Bridge Road.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Tragically it was Olivier Lavorel, aged 35, from Sillingy in France, he was killed in the incident. The accident occurred just under one mile into the course on the opening lap of the race. Olivier was competing in his first TT as a passenger to César Chanel. César was taken to Noble’s Hospital by road and airlifted to Aintree Hospital in a critical condition. Olivier and César were both newcomers at the Isle of Man TT Races and had been elevated from start number 39 to start number 21. The reason was due to qualifying as the 15th fastest pairing, after posting an impressive lap speed of 108.420mph. Olivier and César had taken numerous victories and podiums in the French F1 and F2 National Sidecar Championships. My condolences and thoughts with countless others are with the families and friends at this awful and tragic time for them.
    As a result of the postponement of the first Sidecar race, Monday’s second race day of the 2022 TT has been altered. As scheduled, the first Supersport race of the event will get underway at 10:45am local time, but will now be run over three laps instead of four. Then at 1:10pm, the rescheduled Sidecar race will take place and will run over two laps instead of three. The day will be completed by the Superstock TT at 3pm, which has also been reduced by one lap to three. At present, Wednesday will feature the second Supersport contest and the Supertwins race, while Friday will feature the second Sidecar race and the blue riband Senior TT (the second Superbike race of the week).
    Ride safe all and take care out there.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Whilst Olivier and César were both newcomers to the Island it would appear that they made an impressive start during practice week. My condolences to Olivier‘s family and César‘s condition was serious enough for them to fly him off the Island so wishing him a full recovery.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Today’s SuperSport race claimed another rider’s life. 52 year old Davy Morgan who was a TT veteran and today’s race was his 80th start. My condolences to his family.

We are only just into race week, could the two missed years have anything to do with it. I have just looked at the table in Wikipedia to see what the recent years have been like, sobering reading, that’s for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    While fatalities are not expected it's sadly not unusual. We were at the '89 races when 5 riders died including Phil Mellor and Steve Henshaw which ultimately led to the dropping of the 1300 production class. While it's true that fatalities cast a shadow over the event I think there's an acceptance that making the course 100% safe is impossible. I guess you could say the same of any true road circuit.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I rode down Quarterbridge Rd later that day. There was a profound rubber mark starting near the centre of the road and veering off to the right and they obviously hit the garden wall of a house. There are rumours of a chassis failure, other than that, could possibly have been a puncture. In any case, it's very sad.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #72 Pegscraper, Jun 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    It's just down the road from where Mac Hobson and Kenny Birch suffered their fatal crash in 1978. Apparently they hit a bump next to a manhole cover and broadsided into a garden wall. A guy I used to work with, who knew Mac Hobson at the time, was watching at Bray Hill when it happened and never went back to the TT after that.
    The death of Davy Morgan is another huge blow to the sport, a veteran road racer with decades of experience. I don't know if the cause of the accident is known but it's hard to believe it would be rider error where such an experienced rider is involved.
    Such is the nature of road racing, the slightest mistake, miscalculation or machine failure, which would mean a run off on a short circuit, can have dire consequences.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I just heard they mixed up the French sidecar outfit. It was the rider who died and passenger is critical.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. alfie

alfie Getting older but still going for it
    Subscriber

Jan 27, 2018
    Bath, Zumerset
    Article on the BBC website. An unfortunate error.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/61733290

Alfie

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Been listening to Manx radio for most of the day and now going to watch todays races on TT live on my tablet and cast onto the big TV screen in my lounge.

Just got time to make a coffee and crack open a packet of chocolate hobnobs:yum

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I heard about the mistake today, apparently an investigation is in progress to establish what went wrong, it must be heart-breaking for the families, friends and all those affected. The Police carry out thorough and comprehensive critical incident investigations for any fatality, they present this to the coroner in due course, it will fall to them to establish and present what went wrong regarding the misidentification. Unfortunately mistakes can and do happen, hopefully it will not happen again. Ride safe all and take care out there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    God knows what happened, maybe its best not knowing. Its an unenviable task.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Just finished watching the SuperTwins highlights when they announced the error in identification. As you say the Police carry out intensive examinations in these circumstances but why has it taken so long to discover the error.

I really feel for the two families who’s emotions must be in absolute turmoil.

RIP César.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #79 Iceman, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    The Isle of Man TT has been plunged into further tragedy after a father and son Sidecar team died during today's racing. Roger (56) and Bradley (21) Stockton were killed following an incident at Ago's Leap. It happened on the final lap of the 2 lap shortened race, just under a mile into the course. Roger Bradley was an experienced TT competitor, today’s race marking his 20th TT race start. He competed at the TT regularly from 2000 to 2008, before then returning in 2010, 2017 and at this year’s event. In his career, he claimed a total of 12 top-20 finishes and four top-10 finishes, as well as 10 Bronze Replicas. Hi son Bradley was a newcomer to the TT and finished his first TT race on Monday, securing an impressive eighth-place finish alongside his father. 2022 was their fifth season racing together, and Roger and Bradley were regular podium finishers and frontrunners in the British F2 Sidecar Cup Championship, finishing second in the championship in 2021. The post TT races on the S100 course due to take place tomorrow (11/06/2022) have been cancelled, the media release is attached. A very sad and heart breaking day, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family, friends and everyone affected by this awful tragedy.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I have just been catching up with the highlights on the box and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Father and son, unthinkable.

My sincere condolences and thoughts go out to their family and friends.

I don’t know why but I had always looked on the outfits as being safer than the solos but sadly, not this year.

• Agree Agree x 2