Thruxton Is The Thruxton R A Touring Bike?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Aussie-Rhino, Feb 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    20161120_132026.jpg

Or you could try this , best of both worlds--- bike staying closer to std no luggage or rack's and the trailer unhitches in seconds and you are back on two wheels ! It's also a much more fuel efficient way to travel/tour !! I lose only 1 or 2 klms/ltr when touring with the trailer hooked up fully laden, it can weigh 155 kg fully loaded !

Cheers capt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Love it! To think that only yesterday I chuckled when the nice lady at the insurer asked "and will you be towing a trailer with the new bike?" :)

Here's a pic of my owned-from-new '98 Hornet in Switzerland on the aforementioned trip. Pretty well loaded, but I enjoyed still being able to exploit the bike's best capabilities on the twisties - of which there are plenty in Austria and Switzerland! Autocom with Motorola PMRs enabled bike-to-bike with two mates who were also on the trip; this made a huge difference and I would recommend it to anyone.

Hopefully I will be posting a similar picture of a bike more suited to this forum, next year. I think it'll be Hepco and Becker panniers for me - even though they'll be a bit of a nuisance when filtering.

My immediate challenge will be where the heck to fit an Autocom on the Thruxton; I don't want a bluetooth solution (batteries to go flat) and it has to be Autocom (I'm keeping the Hornet and want my own and my wife's helmets to be compatible for intercom riding on both bikes) but there was certainly no room under the seat or behind either side panel that I could see in the showroom. I might end up with an external solution such as in a sealed box in the wheel arch space or with detachable remote wiring to my tank bag.
    CH.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Thanks, Andy. Just to check though: When riding with a pillion I will leave the solo seat at home and fit the dual seat instead that I included in the deal. I presume that what you describe is just for the solo seat?

4. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Thanks for that - even though as expected. You might just have been on to something!

5. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Cambs/Beds
    The main reason I’d never tour on Thruxton R is because of the constant cleaning and protection required for the polished aluminium engine cases, wheels etc.

A week or two of exposure to bad weather and a lack of cleaning would destroy the bike.

I stick to my GS for serious touring and keep the Thruxton R as a fair weather only bike :)

6. Uncle Olaf

Uncle Olaf Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Genk, Belgium
    Hi,
    any bike is a touring bike if you take it on touring trips haha.
    We rode from Genk (NE Belgium) to the Ardeche region (Fr), over 1.000 km in two days of 10 hours in the saddle, always and only on the small departental roads. We hadn't any comfort issues at all, and my mate was on his Bonneville T120. With the comfort seat on it, it didn't hurt more than on my BMW R1150 R which I sold after 13 years. After 10 hours everything gest a little sore but that is normal on any bike I guess. It is indeed a fantastic piece of machinery.

DSC09100.JPG

DSC09130.JPG

IMG-20180529-WA0039.jpg

• Like Like x 5