Is The New Gopro Hero 7 Black Worth Upgrading To?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Hippo-Drones, Sep 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    So the new camera is out, is it worth upgrading to it? In this video I talk through why I would, or why I wouldn't recommend switching to it. I also show how I have my camera setup organised on my helmet:

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It’s the old story of convincing yourself what you WANT is what you NEED.........but that is seldom true!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I don't really think it is enough of a jump from the Hero 6, but it is a marked improvement over the Hero 5 and a world ahead of the 3 and 4. I am going to play with the settings a bit, as the light to dark transition is a bit weird compared to how my 6 is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HughJarse

HughJarse Well-Known Member

May 8, 2017
    For what it's worth ... I have an SJ4000. It's a bit of a GoPro replica/rip-off in some ways.
    It records in 1080p.
    The video quality is pretty good.
    I'm no badge snob and it serves me very well.
    For those of you who are image-conscious then an upgrade to a GoPro Hero 7 is a must ... honestly, your life will not be complete without it.
    Will it be better than my SJ4000? Yes it will.
    Will it be 10 times better? Absolutely not
    Is it 10 times the price? Yip, it is.

Your call I guess.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    I'm def not a badge snob, but I do like my tech. You are 100% spot on though that a £40 camera is more than adequate for a lot of folk. They just don't offer the features or the quality of video I am after and the backwards compatibility with my other kit is a real bonus too.

6. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’m thinking of purchasing my first tech of this sort. I’m looking at the new GoPro to use for motorcycling but also for mountain biking, general outdoor use in bad weather, and for diving/snorkeling. What other options can I look at?

7. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    The Sony FDR X3000 is meant to be very good, Drift do some popular cameras. Are you wanting to bike mount or helmet mount? If bike mount you really are going to need a camera with image stabilisation so the Sony or GoPro are probs the best bet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HughJarse

HughJarse Well-Known Member

May 8, 2017
    Of course Hippo ... I wasn't being totally serious. I'm not into my tech the way others are and I suppose if you're into something then you may as well have an excellent version of it. I'm interested in watches. I have a Rolex GMT Master ll and I love it so I do understand your point. I have used my camera twice and even then it was just for 10 minutes so a top of the range model would be wasted on me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    I just bought a Hero 7.

Now I need to upgrade my computer. Gopro Quik needs Windows 10 and 2.6+ghz processor to add the telemetry data to the screen and edit in 4k.

It can be done on mime, but playback takes forever to buffer, Saved to memory card, the files play fine on my tv though. No prob in photoshop if editing in 1080p though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Girlfriend bought me a GoPro Hero 5 for Christmas. I'd never had one of these types of cameras before so knew very little about them, I do like my tech though and can already see myself wasting hours making crappy videos no one other than myself would find interesting :)

I've only really used it properly for the first time today during my commute and I'm very impressed with the quality of the video.

If anyone can recommend some decent settings to use for riding (helmet mounted) that'd be helpful? I think I rode in using 2.7k at 30 FPS. Would 60 FPS be better? 4k seems a little overkill and it seems to turn off certain features like image stabilization when that's selected. So perhaps that's not best suited for riding.

Having said that I'm just riding about with nothing in particular I'm trying to record, other than if/when something odd/funny happens I'd still like it to look as good as it can, for when it does as I might like to upload it.

Memory card space isn't an issue and I'll quite enjoy using the phone app to delete or edit bits and bobs.

Cheers,
    Sean.

11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Yeah I have to say I'm a little surprised with the battery life, admittedly I was doing a lot of playing around today but a 35 minute commute and then some playing around with it uploading videos to the phone app left me with 15% battery for the ride home. Needless to say it didn't last the entire journey!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    for helmetcam go 1080/60 in Superview with ProTune turned on sharpness to medium and stabilisation on (although stabilisation on helmetcam footage is just my preference, others prefer it turned off. I also turn off auto low light as I'd rather keep the 60fps than have the frame rates drop in darker areas

13. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    .... although I have the Hero 7 Black, I mainly use my Hero 5 Session as a helmetcam still, they are great cameras!

14. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks, think that's pretty much what I've settled on for now - although some options I'm limited to. If I want video stabilisation on then I can't go higher than 1080. Hope to do some more testing soon as the video from the ride this morning at 2.7k and 30 FPS looked great! And that's just playback on the phone.

15. Hippo-Drones

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    If you plan on putting them on YouTube, I'd recommend recording at the settings I suggested above, but when you edit it, render it to 4k with a 45Mbps bitrate. That will make YouTube give you a better codec which will massively improve the look of it online. If you are not going to put it on YouTube, then record at the best resolution you can cope with the reduced battery life and size of the recording file

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1