Is 480 Miles Feasible?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Fourbears, Dec 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Because although a great place to live there are other places to see and roads to ride!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yep I've done 450 + in a day on a naked.
    Couple of years back came from Isle of Harris on the 06.00am ferry to Skye Absolutely poured it down for the first 320 miles!!!
    Called in Glasgow for fuel, took panniers off and into the toilet with me. An underpant/trouser/sock swap was required and this was despite decent, normally waterproof, IXS fabric trousers and a Frank Thomas oversuit. Once into fresh clothes, plus oversuit, set off again but inevitably was wet through in about 50 miles.

Don't let your guard down on such a trip if poor conditions!!!!!
    I overtook two lorries near Scotch corner and thought "by one of them smells, must be brakes or something!"

Err no it wasn't; at home and in the garage some 50 miles further on and upon removing the soft panniers the exhaust gas had burnt a hole through, damaged x3 fleeces and a few dry bags etc. but the important bit was the gas bottle for the stove :scream:
    The painted label was brown charred and the gas cylinder was too hot to hold by the bare hand :neutral:o_O:worried:

Was it the rain, or was it tiredness to blame, or was it just one of those things?
    I'd placed the panniers back on the bike the wrong way around and the slant cut was going the wrong way.

Flames on the over run with a gas cylinder to boost it :yum WOW impressive..... err NO thanks!

• Like Like x 5
  3. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Yeah I've had one of those days. Knutsford to Norwich and within 50 miles it was bucketing down and despite waterproofs I was soaked by Macclesfield. Stopped between Derby and Nottingham for fuel and literally poured water out of my gloves! The journey was none too pleasant but I got home.

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I've done Bedford to Dunkeld, c450 miles the circuitous way I went, in one day, in pissing rain for a good half of it, on my Street Twin. No problem.

You can keep a fairly brisk pace on the A roads out of Scotland from Fort William, but not motorway speeds. It'll be tiring, but perfectly feasible so long as you take plenty of breaks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    So what do you think now after some input, it’s certainly doable, just needs a bit of planning.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    You're route up to Fort William is going to make a difference as well.
    I've gone from Edinburgh to Aldershot a few times on the bike in a day (and obviously the return journey as well), and I'd say the M6 is far easier going than the A1, especially north of Manchester. Not sure what others think, but that's been my experience.
    Sitting at silly slow speeds on the M1 or A1(M) will eat into your time, and cause more fatigue. Heading off silly early in the moring can also help, as there will be little to no traffic at that time (relative to during day).
    The traffic on the M6 also dies off as you go further north, continuing onto the M74. Much slower going once you hit Glasgow, as it'll be back onto single carriageways, with tourist traffic starting to become an issue.

According to Mr Google, it's about 3 hours from Glasgow, so it's not impossible to suggest getting to about there, then leave early next day to begin the tour from Fort WIlliam about mid morning. That way you're getting the best of both worlds, a stop off with most of a full day decent riding (Glasgow to Fort WIlliam is pretty good as well!).

7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Done 550 miles in a day 2 up on a VFR800 laden with luggage,,,,but it was in Europe.

British roads are crap and heavily congested and most car drivers are inconsiderate to motorcyclist :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Its certainly doable. I'm thinking that I'll go up with the group over 2 days, have a day ride up there with them and then come back with plenty of breaks. One advantage is the days are quite long at that time of the year so it should all be in the light!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    You shouldn’t have too much trouble doing that distance in a day, I’ve done over 700 miles in a day on a speed triple, a friend of mine did 1100 on a bonneville from France to southern Spain , just don’t stop too long each time you fill up, that’s where you start taking longer over breaks and it takes forever then

10. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    For me, an early start is key. The psychological effect of stopping for breakfast at 08:00 with 100 to 150 miles already done is a big boost. Only 350 miles to go and it's still early = easy peasy.

If I'm stopping for lunch and only done that mileage, the remainder would be hanging a bit heavy on the mind.

But I'm a morning person.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Only done a couple of 450 miles + as Jock says do as much as you can early before breakfast and you'll be fine if your eyes get heavy stop! easy to press on and risk your life and it's not worth it no hero medals to win by doing so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. pippawilky

pippawilky Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Have done Lagos in Portugal to Madrid in spain about 470ish on tiger two up with camping gear not such a big deal just fill and ride fill and ride I did sit at 90 to ton all the way and did use a lot of fuel it was the CV carb tiger with the twin exhausts

13. Syntec Bill

Syntec Bill New Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Cheshire England
    Hi
    It’s all about the mix of roads . I’ve done that mileage and more in a day on a 1290 Superduke a Road King and a mix of other bikes . Sometimes two up.
    Up to Glasgow you can average over 75miles an hour , as it’s motorway, but from there up to Fort William , needs to be in daylight and you’ll struggle to average 50.
    Cover the big miles on the motorway in the early hours.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Traxx

Traxx Member

Dec 9, 2018
    Fort Worth TX
    I wish I had your problem. 480 miles in a day to start a tour of Scotland. I would love to do UK roads on a TEX.
    Here in the States a 480m day is not common but easily do-able by picking a higher speed route and dressing appropriately. I generally get rolling about a hour before daylight and have breakfast when I get fuel approximately 160 to 200m later. Walk around and get the the blood flowing.
    Oh and I am IBA member 71308.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland

• Like Like x 3
  16. Greybadger

Greybadger New Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Manchester
    More than feasible :)
    I went from Manchester to Fort William in one hit on my 2013 Thruxton.
    I'm 50 ando decided to give it a go but take my time. I just rode till I needed the loo and or coffee, had a stretch and set off again. I decided that if it got too much I'd find a hotel but did not have to.
    I arrived tired but happy !!!
    Following day headed out to the north coast 500.
    Go for it buddy....

• Like Like x 3
  17. jord001

jord001 Member

Dec 6, 2018
    Birmingham England
    Definitely doable in a day. I have done loads of 350 days on the Thruxton around Wales and back to Home. I would recommend having a few practice days as soon as the weather gets better as it will help with fatigue. When i'm "out with the lads" we do get a bit of a shift on and sit on the cusp of speed limits so we get done in less than 10 hours and that's with breaks for food, Fuel stops etc. You will feel tired at first but it soon becomes easier. Also it depends what bike your on. Riding the Thruxton I need a break every 70 miles or round about, so I always plan stops for a pee / coffee / fuel to coincide with each other as it saves time.
    I did Barcelona to home in two 500-600 mile days but the weather was reasonable and it was on a Tiger 1200 so it was a comfortable ride, I still took a break every 70/80 mile just to stop any fatigue before it starts. You should be ok on the sprint, just plan ahead, do as much motorway as early as possible because its boring and in the afternoon you will be tired so get it out of the way asap. The secret is definitely regular breaks.

Lee

• Like Like x 1
  18. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I came back from the first Antler Rally on the Ardnamurchan peninsula on a 1954 Triumph T110 and sidecar in daylight to Northampton 1970's, that was in September. Geneva to Northampton in 12 hours on a CX 650 in the mid 1990's. Hook van Holland to Auschwitz (Oswiecim) 5.30 pm overnight arriving midday.
    Long distances are more a state of mind than anything, stopping for coffee,snack and fill the tank a couple of times then a 15 minute nap and go again works for me. I don't do three meals a day and a bed every night, I often sleep for three or four hours laying on the tank bag fully dressed and ready to go again after a visit to the toilet. You don't know what you can do till you try!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Do yourself a favour and remove your postcode from your avatar or you may end up getting your pride and joy stolen.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Greybadger

Greybadger New Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Manchester
    Blimey !!!!
    Many thanks :)

• Like Like x 4