Featured Touring Iom Four Day Trip

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by MattGaydon, Apr 12, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Hi all,

Just thought I’d pop this up for anyone interested!

After a very successful solo trip last year, I got permission for another one this Easter!

So the plan was put in place for a 4 day trip to the IOM…

Day 1:

So this was going to be a long day. I set off at 8am in TORRENTIAL rain.

It rain the whole way along the M4 to Cardiff, 120 miles of non stop pelting rain! Not a great start.

I pulled into the services for a much needed stop and reset and after a quick coffee and a go on the hand dryers I came out to be pleasantly surprised by the sun!

I then rode up through wales in glorious sunshine. The roads were fun and the time flew by.

Just as I was coming towards Liverpool the heavens opened again…torrential rain led to thunder and lightning which in turn led to the heaviest hail I’ve ever experienced…lovely.

I had to be in Liverpool by 6pm for a 7pm crossing. I got royally lost somehow trying to find the terminal and ended up going through the tunnels three times!!! Thank god bikes are free!

But I got there, and somehow relatively dry. The crossing was fine and I had a 5min ride to my hotel. So I got in at 10:30pm.

It had been a LONG day (330 miles), I can’t say it was the best day but at least I arrived!!!

Fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow…

IMG_4098.jpeg

TBC…

• Like Like x 9
  2. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Day 2:

I woke up early to beautiful sunshine!! A quick check of the weather showed rain coming at 1/2pm ish…so I was up and out early to make the most of it!

First up was the coast, I’d plotted a route around the entire coast of the island…

My goodness!! What a place! It was close to be the best 80 miles riding I’ve ever done. The roads are twisty and fun with spectacular views pretty much the whole way along! Can’t recommend this highly enough.

Then after a quick stop, it was time for a lap of the TT course…

It started off great, a lot of fun seeing the corner name markers and mile markers. It’s mad what those guys do!! Even got my front wheel up over Ballaugh! Haha

Unfortunately though, the mountain (A18) is closed for pretty much the whole of April to get ready for this years TT so after 21 miles it came to an end…no lap records for me!

I turned around and then went up a different road which wiggled up to behind the Bungalow…a lot of fun especially as it was a dead end as there was no traffic at all. Nice tight narrow turns all to myself!

So I saw the mountain road, but will have to come back again if I’d like to ride it!!!

Then back down to my hotel for a couple of beers and a quieter afternoon as the storms of all storms descended on Douglas!!!

A great morning of riding…let’s see what tomorrow brings…

4f237ce6-549a-42ff-9756-311f9ea6b767.jpeg
    ae4cb06a-b614-41e1-b608-ba01db051bd0.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  3. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    #3 MattGaydon, Apr 12, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    Day 3:

So I’m sat in the pub at the end of my third day on the IOM.

Today started slowly…absolutely pissing down so just a mooch around town and some breakfast and about 3000 coffees!

The forecast said at 2pm it would clear so I suited up and headed out at 1:30…started off wet but soon cleared and what a ride!

Started by heading down to the south eastern point, St Michaels chapel which was really cool. Just a single track past a derelict hotel to a small island (ish) with the chapel remains and sea all around! In the way back out stopped as there were two seals just a stones throw away playing!

Then back onto the TT course until Ballaugh where I turned off…OMG…it got amazing from here!

A tiny single track road through mist, SNOW (!!!!) and cracking scenery! Just below the mountain rd so you could look up to it…it was dead snowy up there!! Such a cool little road with lots of twists and turns. Very recommended!!!

Then back to the hotel. Nice short day but so pleased I went out!!!

Back home tomorrow with an 8am ferry!! Going to be another long day as I sail into Heysham instead this time which is even farther away!!! But let’s see how that goes!!

IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4110.jpeg
    IMG_4113.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  4. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Great ride report. Please keep it coming as you begin your way home.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Will do!! I’m going to go for a blat in the Forest of Bowland when I come off the ferry (rode there a few years ago and was ace) but other than that will just be the m6…!

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Cheers for that Matt! A very enjoyable write up after a fantastic trip. Not been there for a few years but plan to get there soon. Love it over there :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    Been there a few times for work and once for the TT. The place is much bigger than you think and there are plenty of roads apart from the course.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    There's a couple of really good museums (bikes) you could have gone to while you were there and lot's of great places to eat. There are a few of us on here that know the island quite well and could have given you some pointers. I hope you can go there again when the weather is better, you will enjoy it even more. :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Day 4:

Early start to the ferry terminal for the 3.5hr crossing back to Heysham this time.

Got off the ferry and had a fun ride through the Forest of Bowland for a couple of hours before many many miles on motorways to get home!!!

Trip done!! The weather could’ve been better but it def didn’t ruin or take anything away from the trip.

I’ll def be heading back to the IOM, what an awesome place!!

Thanks all!

• Like Like x 9
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the ride report, Matt! Sounds like you had a terrific time. Your bike is looking good. :heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    Thanks for the great report!;)

12. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Many thanks for a great report. We used to camp in Sulby Glen and you will have gone up through the hairpins close to the Tholt-y-Will climbing out of the Glen with only the cattle grids and sheep to be wary of before you get to the Bungalow.