Insurance / Immobiliser Problems.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Our Gee, Mar 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Hello all,
    I am currently in the process of re-newing the insurance on my Sprint GT (2015 reg) and have come up against the following problem.
    On my original statement of facts it was recorded that my bike has the Datatool S4 Immobiliser / Alarm fitted which was fitted as far as I know from new either by Triumph at the factory or by the supplying dealer. My present Insurer (Bikesure) wanted to see the installation certificate as a discount had been applied to my premium. Despite calling the original dealer and the bikes previous owner I am unable to supply such a certificate.
    My insurer offered to remove the Datatool S4 fitment from statement of facts at a additional premium which I agreed to and paid.
    My amended documents have just arrived and although the Datatool Immobiliser has been removed from the Statement of Fact, this has now been substituted with "Triumph Immobiliser System".
    I have called my Insurer to query this and they say that this refers to the "Standard Immobiliser" fitted by Triumph ?
    Please can anyone confirm that such a system is fitted to the bike as if it is I was completely unaware and if so how does it operate.
    Many Thanks.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Generally the immobiliser just works with the key in the ignition as you turn it in and off. You will probably find that if you say you haven’t got an alarm or immobiliser it’ll only cost you about a tenner more

3. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Thanks for the reply Crispey,
    Are you saying that the bike does have an immobiliser system which is in addition to the Datatool System ? . There is no mention of anything like this in the Owner's Handbook. Incidentally, the extra premium for not having the Datatool listed on my Statement of Facts was £19.

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I read somewhere that immobilisers were fitted as standard on that bike from 2013. Usually when you turn your ignition off and remove the key a light ( red?) will flash somewhere on the clocks.Id say phone your local triumph dealer and ask, if they are open of course.

5. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Just had another look at the Owners Handbook (page21) where the Instrument Panel layout shows item 18 to be the" Alarm Status Indicator Light (Alarm is an Accessory Fit)" !!. This seems to infer that without an alarm that has been fitted as an "accessory" there isn't one.

6. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    That does sound like an idea, I have emailed Triumph to see if they can help but it may be a while before any reply, so thanks for that.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Our Gee

Our Gee Member

Apr 3, 2019
    North Yorkshire
    Result !!,
    Just had an email back from "Freddy" at Triumph. All current new model Triumphs are fitted as standard with the Thatchem 2 Immobiliser built into the Ignition Switch and the Ignition Key.
    My 2015 reg (not sure of actual build date) Sprint GT does not have any additional security devices other that the Datatool S4 System which was fitted by the original supplying Triumph Dealer.

• Like Like x 3