Insurance Companies Yet Again

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Jan 30, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Yes, I know you know as well as I do how corrupt and money grabbing insurance companies are and how small print gets them out of all sorts of claims.
    But this one I see was a new level ,check this out. FB_IMG_1612001060180.jpg
    Wtf, that's crazy .

• WTF WTF x 3
  2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I think that particular 'clause' is now almost universally common on 'bike policies.

Yet another thing for which we can be grateful to the light fingered (and swift footed, I suppose) brethren amongst us.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes it is common to most policies now and I know some people actually state that the bike will be kept on the drive rather than in the garage.
    I asked my insurer (Hastings) at the time how that worked and they said that if you came home, went indoors, got changed out of your gear and the bike was stolen during that time then you would still be covered.
    They said you wouldn't be covered if you left the bike outside overnight instead of putting it in the garage.
    Wouldn't like to test the theory though!
    Don't trust insurance companies at all :mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I just bury my head with them

5. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    I wonder how they can justify that. Any contract has to be equitable.

6. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    You’d think the ombudsman would favour ‘common sense’ I hope

• Like Like x 1
  7. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    Interesting, I have two cars and the Sprint GT, I work away for two weeks out of every five, just received a renewal from Bennetts, they were asking £717 fully comp. Apparently they said they'd "try to do something with the price" when I rang to say I wouldn't be taking their kind offer as I'd got a quote from someone in the real world.

• Like Like x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Bennets are really taking the piss at the moment. A couple of weeks ago they sent me a renewal quote for £470 so instead I took up their "new business" quote that I got on comparethemarket.com which saved me just short of £300.
    The robbing bastards.

9. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    #9 johne, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    I get the 'new business discounts thing' they all give it to get you on board as it were, but as we all know, after a year with Company" X" , they put the prices up not down! Surely the marketing people must realise there is sense in keeping customers loyal by offering existing punters a fair deal rather than just whacking up the premiums? Many on here are older generation with clean licences and a shit load of no claims. For the last umpteen years I've paid my premiums every year and they (the insurance companies) have just taken the money and had nothing to pay out in return. I know tomorrow might be the day when I have a large claim, but that's the nature of the beast.

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Hastings wouldn't re-new my insurance last year, when I called to ask for an explanation the guy, working from home, said he couldn't tell me as they couldn't deal with cancelled policies due to the current circumstances, so I never did find out why. I suspect it might have been due to their underwriter stopping cover for bloodbiking though,