Instrument Panel Lighting Not Working 2009 Cast Wheel Bonneville Se

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by elfin, Aug 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. elfin

elfin Member

Mar 18, 2016
    London
    Hi all,
    I was hoping someone could help with a problem I have on my Bonny. The speedo and tach lights are no longer working ( idiot lights still work). I have checked the fuses and all is fine. So all I can think is something is wrong with the wiring harness does anyone know the part number for the wiring harness I have tried looking for it online but have had no success. (Can only find the main harness on eBay.)

Thanks in advance.

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The Speedo and tacho come apart and there are two globe's in each ! It can be dirty contact or blown globe. I've had globe's be Too loose fitting in the globe holder/sockets and blown globe. It's usually not wiring harness at fault, unless the bike is fairly old or has considerable mileage up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. elfin

elfin Member

Mar 18, 2016
    London
    Hi capt thanks for the quick response.
    I have had a look at the globes and they don't appear to be blown. Would a poor contact on one of them cause all four to not work ?

4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    On my high mileage America (127,000 klms) The lower globe's in both gauges didn't fit tightly in the sockets , bit of a tweak with a fine jewellers screw driver and contact made. I now have LED globe's in them and I think they have slightly bigger bases , had no issues now for at least three months/14,000 klms, did 11,500 odd on trip to Darwin and return , six weeks.
    It's more likely to be vibration and road shocks through the front end, causes loosening of sockets.

5. bruno_c

bruno_c New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    France
    A poor contact in one bulb or socket will not cause the four lights to fail.
    I suggest you look for a split connection. If you worked in the headlamp shell recently, you should begin to look there.

6. elfin

elfin Member

Mar 18, 2016
    London
    Thanks Bruno.
    You are correct I have recently put on a headlight visor. I am not electronically minded so could you advise what you mean by split connector. (Are you saying a loose connector ? as I have followed the bulb wiring and made sure the connection is tight)

7. bruno_c

bruno_c New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    France
    Hi Elgin
    My english ils not that good.
    I wanted to say that when working in the headlamp you could have disconnected a connector or a wire.

8. elfin

elfin Member

Mar 18, 2016
    London
    Thanks Bruno I have checked that.
    I think it may be the wiring because all four don't work.