Featured Installed Mid Controls 2018 Speedmaster

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Orie, Jan 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jimhoy

jimhoy New Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Southern Ohio
    Can't get mids anywhere thanks to covid I guess. Whose bag is that on the back?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DCM29

DCM29 New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Lincoln, NE
    I am picking up my new to me 2018 Speedmaster this coming weekend. I found a set of mid controls at a dealer in NJ, and they will be delivered any day now. I'm wondering if someone who has the installation instructions would be willing to share a copy with me? (Croxbt64, @Brutusvk)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    For the earlier gen Speedmaster, America, and Bonneville America, Norman Hyde offered mid-mount controls. I laid my’09 Speedy down one day and tore it up, but after further inspection found only the tank, bars, and windscreen (and the light bar) were destroyed, but the crash bars worked. Saddlebags kept the rear end from touching ground, and even the pipes had survived. Tiny knick and bend on the head stop, insurance totaled it, but I bought it back and bobbed it, put a ‘13 Thruxton tank on it, new bars, headlight, solo seat (had to source from down under on eBay), and the Norman Hyde foot controls - and I had myself a nice ripper. Those Staintunes sure sound nice!

I still had my ‘04 Speedmaster, and alternated bikes every ride out, and this is what I learned:

The cruiser fuel tank/lower seat arrangement affords wind protection I never gave it credit for. With the Thruxton tank and the mid-mount controls it literally blew my feet off the pegs over 80 mph. Don’t DARE let a knee stray far from the knee pads, and the knee pads were a definite necessity for grip. (Ironically, I had just put the Triumph rubber knee pads on the tank before I laid it down. On the first ride out with the pads.). I digress.

I already had 100K miles on the’04 bike and though still riding it hard, I no longer trusted it for touring duty, but I rode these two bikes back-to-back for 7 years discounting the year it took for the transformation.

Now, to the point. The original poster is spot-on in his description of how it changes the riding position, and more importantly, the control factor. I re-learned how to ride, and it equally forevermore changed the way I still ride my 2004 Speedmaster which is still in stock configuration, which I dearly love.

The mid-mount controls taught me (maybe it was just survival instinct to keep from blowing off the back) to get up onto the tank and grip it. Even steer the machine with my knees and seat. A more aggressive riding position, but affording a more engaging riding experience. Plenty of ground clearance, even though I had replaced the N-H pegs with Mushman pegs (I wouldn’t do that over) making the pegs the widest point on the bike.

I sold that bike to a buddy this past Spring making room for the T120. With the Thruxton tank and headlamp nacelle that bike was a real hoot, but challenging to ride fast as it was a lot of work staying on. Not unsafe, but not something you’d want to fight over a 5-6 hour ride.

I love the T120, but it too lacks a lot in the wind management department. It is what it is. Fast and long-legged.

The new WC Speedmaster is too compact for me (and I’m well under 6ft), and with the big fat tire, the more limited suspension travel, and shorter wheelbase, the new Speedmaster just felt like a step down to a smaller, less capable machine, even though it affords more power than the 865cc and 790cc specimen.

I should be on a Speed Triple, a R3, or a Tiger of any flavor, but the T120 has already proven herself to be quite a capable all-rounder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Use Google to find the part number, then go to www.triumphinstructions.com to find the instructions. I've done this to make sure they're there and to save you having to repeat, here's the link... https://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9770116-EN.pdf

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DCM29

DCM29 New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Lincoln, NE
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. DCM29

DCM29 New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Lincoln, NE
    The first step in the fitting instructions for the Mid Control Kit direct you to "Remove the forward control mounting assembly together with the forward controls, as described in the Service Manual." So I subscribed to the Service Manual on triumphtechnicalinformation.com to read up on the procedure. However, I am unable to find any such description in the Service Manual. Anyone have a clue where I can find this, or will it be obvious to me what to do when I have the bike in front of me?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthew Zavislak

Matthew Zavislak New Member

Dec 10, 2021
    USA
    I too am stumped and a bit perturbed - my Husky owners manual & service manual are a freaking dream compared to this manual. Best I could figure is that there is a bit of UK English vs US English gap... But to your point the best I've been able to find so far is in the "Frame - Removing Cradle" section. Hoping others can help because I'm about to go through this.. After my '22 + mid controls arrive at my local dealer in a few weeks :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DCM29

DCM29 New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Lincoln, NE
    Yeah, I saw that too. It's become a moot point for me - I dropped the bike off at my local independent repair shop yesterday for them to do the install for me. I'm sure I could have done it myself, but I don't have a lift and would probably be rolling around on my cold garage floor for several hours during the install. So, it's worth it to me to pay to have it done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DCM29

DCM29 New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Lincoln, NE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Have you noticed if the ground clearance has been improved with the mid controls fitted?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DCM29

DCM29 New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Lincoln, NE
    To be honest, I didn't ride it much with the original controls. I knew before I bought it that the first thing I would do is install mid controls - I had the mid control kit before I had the bike. Being short-legged, I am not comfortable with forward controls. Also, I live in the flatlands where roads are laid out in grids. No canyon carving around here, so ground clearance improvement was not a consideration. :)

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ronald Dale Work

Ronald Dale Work New Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Texas, USA
    Looking for a service manual for 2018 Speedmaster

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ronald Dale Work

Nov 22, 2021
    Texas, USA
    UK dealers have them. Will cost a little more due to shipping

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ronald Dale Work

Nov 22, 2021
    Texas, USA
    Looking for a service manual for a 2018 Speedmaster

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bun

Bun New Member

Mar 10, 2022
    UK
    Hi Orie, I've just had my first ride on my 2019 SpeedMaster and I know what you mean about felling less in control with the bike using forward controls,I may get used to it ,dunno yet. Did you do the mid controls work yourself? Which mods do you refer to make it run more like a Bonneville ?I'm really interested to find out.
    Thanks in advance,
    regards,
    Bun

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Don't think you will get an answer Bun. Orie hasn't been on the forum for 3 years !

FWIW, I've had my speedmaster less than a year. Never having ridden a bike with forward controls before I was apprehensive. For the first half a dozen rides it felt totally alien. I was never sure exactly where to put my feet on the pegs. But eventually it all seemed to click into place. Feels perfectly natural now. I occasionally scrape a peg as it doesn't lean too far, but it's no drama.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bun

Bun New Member

Mar 10, 2022
    UK
    Thanks for the feedback Johnjo. I’m certainly going to give them a good try.
    is there a big performance difference between the Speedie & the Bonnie? The handling on my Speedie seems perfect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I don't think there's a big difference between them Bun. The bonnie, being lighter, is quicker off the mark and probably more agile. I decatted my Speedmaster and had a motone X pipe fitted. The motor definitely spins up a bit quicker now. Plus it's given the exhaust note a deeper tone, lovely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bun

Bun New Member

Mar 10, 2022
    UK
    Thanks for that Johnjo, had a thrash around the Yorkshire Dales this afternoon. Only my second ride and already I’m used to the front controls. You were right, very comfortable. I have no plans to change.
    I was overwhelmed by the power of this beast! I got into fourth only once and I certainly found plenty of poke and I’ve only barely opened it up. After coming from a Tiger Sport 1050 I was more than pleasantly surprised! I’m smitten!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    That's great Bun. As I said it took me a while to get used to the riding position. You're right they can certainly hustle for a big girl. I've surprised a few riders on sportier bikes when they can't shake me off. I smile to myself, back off and enjoy the scenery again.

Enjoy your riding mate. Lovely part of the world to be doing it in.

• Agree Agree x 1