Featured Installed Mid Controls 2018 Speedmaster

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Orie, Jan 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cap City Murph

Cap City Murph Active Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Carson city nv.
    where and what cost?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Resized_20200324_121142.jpeg
    I got mids on mine..love it!!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Herman, thanks for this - there is a lot on here about the fact that with mids you don't scrape pegs; I don't scrape them anyway - I obviously can't ride.

What other benefits from mids are there - comfort, control etc, and are there any drawbacks?

Beerman

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Hi Beerman, I scraped mine the other day , but only just, its no big deal that's what there for. As long as its not the exhaust It doesn't bother me.
    I did a 150 mile trip on Thursday and found it quite comfortable, had to stretch the legs a couple of times as I was going along but with the straight bars and 1 inch up and back Motone risers a very comfortable and controlled riding position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jimhoy

jimhoy New Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Southern Ohio
    Cleans up the front end also when you remove that forward controls bar. I've been wondering could you leave the forward controls bar in place with just the front pegs so you could stretch your legs out if needed?

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    @jimhoy, yes removing that forward peg unit takes some weight of the bike! I was going to mount my old HD tool bag on the replacement bracket that they give you, which looks quite cool anyway. I like your idea of leaving the old forward unit on and use them as 'highway pegs'

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    20200326_133518.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    20200329_170841.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Beerman

Beerman Guest

How tall are you? I read somewhere that a 5ft 8in rider felt cramped with mid-controls.

I am roughly that height!

Beerman

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    I am 5ft 7 and a bit!
    It felt comfortable for me but it is worth mentioning that I also installed Motone 1 inch up and 1 inch over bar risers. In my opinion these do make a difference.
    They stop you hunching too far forward, my posture is back straight weight mostly down onto the bars through the hands. Like I said I had to stretch my legs a couple of times in transit but that was 75 mile trip each way (150).
    I used to do that on my HD Lowrider which is the most comfortable bike I have had.
    That had 'further forward ' controls which is mid plus a touch.Everyone is different, I found the forward controls on the SM comfortable on the 2 demos I had but I like to have the controls mid. Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. KIPP52

KIPP52 New Member

May 23, 2020
    Pennsylvania

I just wanted to add that I'm 5'9 and have ridden up to 200 miles on my new Speedmaster, without feeling cramped with mid controls. I should add that I think the track bars help with that. I do think I'll have to add a windshield for longer trips to reduce neck fatigue a little, but body posture seems good. IMG_3956.JPG IMG_3947.JPG IMG_3947.JPG

• Like Like x 9
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. jimhoy

jimhoy New Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Southern Ohio
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Yes they are 'Road Gremlin Bells'..Harley Davidson road gremlin bells bought for me by my girl friend and my sister.
    They ward off evil road spirits and help to keep you safe...
    Hey...I'm not really a 'Concho & Tassle' kind of guy but I like the idea of a lucky charm or two.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    If your 5ft 9 in that is why you probably feel comfortable with this set up. Personally I would try the Motone 1 inch up and over risers. They are extremely well made and don't affect the cables much...they keep your back straight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Imer

Imer New Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Macedonia
    I know this is old but do you have the forward controls? I want to use them for my 2017 Bonneville Bobber, supposedly they fit. Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    Hi Imer,
    I'm going to have to think about that...not sure if I may want them for a rainy day or if I have a sudden growth spurt or maybe a re sale at some point.
    I certainly wouldn't be 'giving' them away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Imer

Imer New Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Macedonia
    I understand, wasn’t expecting anything free. Where are you located btw?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    North Dorset, UK

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Croxbt64

Croxbt64 New Member

Jun 4, 2019
    Crawley Uk
    Hi folks. Wanted to add my thoughts. I’ve had 2018 SM for couple of years now a DJ the forward controls were a novelty to start with, but on long rides I struggled with comfort, mostly because any bumps go through your backside/spine/neck and shoulders. I also scraped the pegs and hate the sensation. Due to go on tour and swallowed the £420 cost but decided today to do the conversion with a couple of mates.
    Took us about 3 hours. The kit from Triumph has everything we needed and the instructions I printed off were very easy to follow. Only tricky bit was getting the right hand exhaust back because we were working on the ground - would have been easy with a lift.
    Ride home was great. Just felt I had more weight through the pegs and stopping was just that bit easier. Flung it round a few corners and pleased with the extra clearance. I’m around 5’8 and not cramped, but imagine it may be less comfortable for 6 footers. Saved a fair bit on labour and a lot on time. Destination Triumph Washington booking work now for mid November! Happy to answer any questions apart from ‘why buy a SM if you didn’t like forward foot position’.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. LedFingers

LedFingers New Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Tampa, FL. USA
    I purchased the mid controls as well. I haven't done the install yet as I am debating whether or not to do it myself. No lift, but I'll probably give it a go anyway. Any advice as to the difficult parts of the install?

• Agree Agree x 1