Indicator Lens…? Am I Being Thick???

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MattGaydon, Jul 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    I usually pretty stupid when it comes to doing bits on the bike but this is taking the p*ss…!

I accidentally destroyed one of my indicator lenses so am replacing…but it feels dead loose when I pop it on!

Am I missing something?? Should it be glued on?? But then how do you get it off again?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Matt what model and year is your machine as the indicators do vary

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Photos would help. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I really dont know but it should be designed to come off if its not LED, how else could you change the bulb? It might be in the manual come to think of it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    It’s designed to screw on and off but getting it off was near impossible and then once screwed back on it still feels super loose. Like it’ll come free when riding!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Bit of plumbers tape maybe? Silicone would be good but probably too permanent if you ever need it off again.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Looks a bit like a bayonet type fitting with those notches - being a lens and designed to focus light in certain ways, I wonder if it has to be on a very specific way to focus the light properly.

try putting it on, if loose take off and rotate a bit and try again, etc. If it’s correct maybe it will be tight.

I don’t know what I’m talking about.

SQUIRREL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Can you see any damage to the base ?
    You can compare it to the other side. But don't damage it when taking the lens off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Hi Matt

Worry not, I found getting the lenses off really hard and harder still putting them back on after I'd changed the lenses for Triumphs clear lens kit. First time I tried I couldn't get the lens to stay secure.

My street cup uses the same indicator lenses as your Thruxton and the T100/T120 if we're talking after 2016.

The lenses use a bayonet style lock; as you you've probably found taking them off its about a quarter turn anti clockwise and is really tight, I was worried I'd break the stem getting them off and putting them back.

Putting a new lens back on is the reverse of getting a lens off, so once you've got a lens off look at the "thread" on the edge of the lens and you'll see how it works.

For me and my feeble grip, I found that a small strap wrench (or if you've got one in the kitchen, one of those strap gadgets to loosen stuck jam jars) wrapped around the bottom edge of the lens, gave me the extra leverage I needed to safely twist the lens back on past the locking / catch point. That way I could support the stem while twisting the lens and not snap the whole indicator off.

Triumph were definitely paranoid about losing lenses when they designed that.

Hope that helps. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Thanks chaps will see how it goes again tomorrow!