Inconsistent Brake Pressure

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Apr 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks for sharing your process. That’s something I had not considered.

2. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    So I left mine on for 48 hours and was absolutely awesome for about a week. Then it got all mushy again. So I have been doing this every in between rides which is about 12 hours usually. The most was 48hours. It still seems the creep back to being squishy though after a day or two. Any suggestions?

• Like Like x 1
  3. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    This sounds like you may have a leaky seal somewhere which is allowing air to be drawn in, maybe at a caliper piston. I’d have a close look at all the joints in the system too to see if there’s any that are wet with fluid indicating a poor seal.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mogwai

Mogwai New Member

Mar 5, 2019
    Melbourne
    Great advice. I will check it out.

5. Tomeu

Tomeu Member

Jan 8, 2019
    spain
    I have to say that today I have tested an RS and noticed the break problem, it was not so exaggerated, but the first pump was always softer than the second and third.

seems that there is a manufacturer mistake somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    I have owned my RS for about a week and have exact same issue with having to pump break once to make firm.
    from previous bikes I knew this to be an issue with air in system, but was quite surprised to see so many people reporting same issue.
    I was just going to bleed system to get the air out, but perhaps i will try the cable tie method first.

7. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I've had 2 RS's and both have had this annoying "Feature". I brake fairly hard to scrub speed off then maybe a little dab just before turn in and it's really annoying as the second dab always bites harder. I'll try this and see what it's like next time I go out

8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Komp & Andy, I would definitely bleed the brakes first. This will get the last bit of air out.

9. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    it came down to time, just not had chance to bleed, whereas it took little effort to leave brake lever cabled tied over night. so far it seems to have made a huge difference, but i guess will see if still as firm in a week or so time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Just gonna chime in with a left field view!!

I decide to upgrade the caliper on my speedmaster opinion was 3 piston was better.
    Put on caliper and new hoses, bled it too many times to count must have used 2-3 litres of DOT 4. Turned them upside down held them up high tapped them and tied back to bar, but still soft
    Took caliper off wheel and pumped it up till it pads were tight together and it was solid?
    Put caliper back on bike and it was soft on first pull got better but not brilliant.

Turned out the caliper was not centred on the disc and after release of lever pushed the pistons back away from disc leaving a gap at the fixed disc which needed to close before getting brake bite!!

11. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Meant fixed pad not disk :worried:

12. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    It’s always best to loosen off the caliper bolts, apply brakes and hold lever while tightening caliper bolts. This will centre the caliper to the rotors. Learnt this from Dave Moss.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I think it was a difference in bracket thickness that caused my issue but still a good tip.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Oh, ok.

15. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    well I had another look at this at the weekend, as switching between riding my old ktm and speed triple it is very noticeable how much better the brembos are on my 10 year old smt!
    So thought would bleed front brakes and replace fluid with fresh dot4.
    And the fresh fluid has improved feeling slightly, but there is still far too much travel in the brakes.
    I think will just have to take to nearest dealer to see if they can sort, as not happy with feeling at all.

16. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    sorry to wake this one up, but turned out the problem was the pads.
    i never received a recall letter, but were replaced when bike was in getting serviced. the backing was coming away from them
    sorted the problem out straight away!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. komp

komp Member

Sep 10, 2019
    essex
    i still get some squealing unfortunately, but i can live with that... so long as they work consistently.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Same goes for me. I may change to EBC next year if they keep squealing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I noticed this the first time I rode my bike. I kept meaning to make a post but hadn't got round to it. I'm used to it now. Done about 3k miles this year but glad other bikes are the same. I've bled the system and had the pads changed under the recall but no change to the second pull on the lever being shorter.
    The things is the calliper pistons seem to recess back into the callipers quite a bit with time. When pulling on the lever twice, the pistons do not have time to recess as far and so are nearer the discs already on the second pull. Why this is happening though I don't know. I've tried the technique of tying the brake lever back over night on other bikes. That seems to force the pads out further in their resting state but also causes brake drag. When the pads have worn down a bit, the lever travel is just the same as it was.
    I was worried this Speed Triple feature would be a problem on a trackday but it was fine actually. I guess because you are braking every few seconds.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JT1306

JT1306 New Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Surrey
    It seems like this is across all Triumph's that have this particular Brembo set up. Bleeding the brakes temporarily solves the issue but does not fix it as it is not caused by air in the system but the brake pistons themselves.

So far no fix from Triumph has worked and looks like this may be an issue that we have to "just live with".

Can't say I'm best pleased after having the quickshifter issue and squeaky brakes on my Speed RS. An inconsistent brake feel isn't exactly the best way to be selling a bike that's suppose to have some track capabilities.

Will update if I hear anything back on my follow ups with Triumph.

• Like Like x 3