In Big trouble I think.......Triumph Thunderbird 900

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Havit, Jun 4, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #1 Havit, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    I think I have just made a big mistake .I pulled out the alternator shaft thinking it will be easier to to fit the alternator to it and slide back. only to find I won't go back as the cogs have slipped down in the shaft hole . I run out of time to look at it better as I may be able the line them up. But i was looking on the net last night and it was mentioned that if you pull it out you may will have to split the Engine!. now I'm worried ......is this true. I have leant so much about this bike over the last year, but I'm now thinking I'm getting too carried away with my level of know-how . I know you learn by your mistakes but this could be big one on my shoe string budget.... :(

2. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    From what I have seen before in the Sprint forum there is a spacer washer that has probably fell into the engine. Sorry mate but it dont look like good news to me. It says earlier engines had a female thread either end of the shaft,later ones ,and yours being a Tbird is probably gonna be the later one,didnt.
    Here is the thread , post 2 by greg.

http://www.triumphrat.net/t3-sport-touring-forum/610338-alternator-question.html

Hope I am wrong and you get lucky mate

• Like Like x 1
  3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Thanks Dave, it don't look good, I take it its the thrust washer that's the problem then....Shite. this could put me off the road for a while me thinks .

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I dont have experience of it myself ,just seen it happen in the forums a couple of times and it stuck in my head.
    Who knows, you may go to look this weekend and it is a simple fix, I hope so .

• Like Like x 1
  5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Wayne, sorry to hear your troubles mate. Even more sorry that I can't lend a hand, but I've not done this work before so I don't know what to suggest.

If you have to split the crankcases it's not the end of the world though - they are designed to come apart after all - just do your research and work methodically.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Will do dave, deep breath and keep calm.....im kicking my self to be honest.

7. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Thanks For your support lads . Fingers crossed ah .

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Unlucky Wayne, get over the kicking yourself, what's done is done, hope you get some good luck

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I understand that mate, but don't worry too much. It was made by a man, it can be re-made by a man.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Good luck Wayne, I hope you get lucky and save the situation, :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Do a bit everyday.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    To quote your Avatar - Bummer....
    Chiari1's advice is spot on - take pictures of everything as you go - that way you have a reference point to go to if you can't remember where something came from. You'll also have some pictures to look back on with pride once the jobs done.
    It's also worth popping to the pound shop and getting a couple of cheap plastic boxes with dividing sections in. You can store the fiddly little bits in them, label them and there is less chance of things getting lost.
    I've only ever split and rebuilt two stroke Vespa PX engines in the past, but the advice I would give is - the moment you start getting frustrated or wound up, walk away and leave it until the next day. It's better to approach these tasks at a calm methodical pace than with the red mist up and risk FUBARing something.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Thanks Tomo, I will try not to get uncool and heavy :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I think mine is the early model the vin would suggest it is

15. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Oh DEEP POOO!.:(:(:(
    Sounds like you've really screwed the pooch Wayne. Sorry I can't give any other advice than, take deep breaths and a nice slow and steady approach and you'll probable sort it. If all else fails remember Cpl Jones and, "Don't panic";)

16. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #16 Havit, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    You image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Ok lads, this is where i am, after messing with screwdrivers for a while i have managed to get the shaft back in fully.........but.......i cant recall if it should be able to turn by hand or not .? Only thing i dont know is if the washer is on it or not......

18. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
  19. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Do i gamble ????

20. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If you remove the spark plugs, put the bike in gear and turn the engine over by turning the back wheel.