In Bavaria At The Moment

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BonnieCat, Aug 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    We're in Bavaria for a couple of weeks and just tried an interesting beer.
    It's called Rauchbier (smoked beer). It's like a stout in colour and taste but has overtones of smoked wood. It should taste horrible but it's actually lovely. If you are ever down this this way you must try it. We've stayed a couple of nights in Bamberg which is quite the most beautiful unspoilt, undamaged baroque city in Germany. It's fantastic.
    Moving on to Passau today.
    I'll post some pictures when I'm back home. Can't do it from my phone.
    And No, I'm not on the bike. Cheated and drove Boris the Beemer.
    BC

• Like Like x 6
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Boris is, of course, a faux Bavarian. His 4 wheel cousins come from there (or South Carolina and elsewhere!) but he is more of a doughnut (Berliner)........

When President Kennedy memorably said at the Brandenburg Gate 'Ich bin ein Berliner' he was, in effect, saying I am a hamburger. Ich bin Berliner would have spared the speechwriter's roasting :confused:

Enjoy the beer. I am not sure smoke is mentioned in the purity reinheitsgebot!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Just got back today. Awesome trip.

Went to Bamberg, Regensburg, Passau, Landshut, Munich, Fuessen and Garmish Partenkirchen. Boris the Beamer was very happy to visit his homeland. Here's a few piccies

[​IMG]
    Rauchbier - smoked beer. Unusual but scrummy. Thanks to going in the car, I was able to bring back a crate of 20 bottles.

[​IMG]

At the old Town hall in Bamberg

[​IMG]

Stunning St Stephans Dom in Passau

[​IMG]

Passau old town from the hill opposite

[​IMG]

Not impressed !!!. Sitting on a BMW at BMW World Munich

[​IMG]

In the BMW Museum Munich. One of the first bikes they made. After WW1 the company was not allowed to make Airplane engines so turned to making bikes and cars.

[​IMG]

View of the mountains (Zugspitze) from the hotel room.

Germany is an awesome country with so much to see and do. Roll on the next visit

• Like Like x 10
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Nice one BC

5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Great photos Nikki:) your not wrong about St Stephans it is beautiful :dizzy::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Beer sounds nice:yum

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Beer IS nice!!:grinning:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    I really envy you @BonnieCat !
    I often think that the folks in Bavaria live in an oversized fairytale. :blush:

That view from the balcony is just breathtaking...

There's a beer I always liked very much called the Rauchenfelser Steinbier which in fact is also a Smoked-beer but I don't know if i is still on the market. I haven't seen it around for a while.

Cheers ;)

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I know, unfortunately not allowed to drink any! :tired_face: can just read about it and enjoy vicariously :blush:

10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Just think of the fun you'll have making up for lost time!!:yum:grinning::grinning::grinning:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    You are right Daniel. The towns we visited were unbelievablely pretty and with some people still walking around wearing Dirndls/lederhosen you could almost imagine you'd stepped into a fairy tale.
    The view from the balcony was indeed stunning and kept changing constantly as the clouds and the weather changed. It's hard to believe that a little earlier in the day you couldn't see the mountain at all due to low cloud.
    Also this is bikers paradise fantastic roads and no potholes with awesome views everywhere you go.
    We drove back yesterday in one go about 850 Kms altogether and took us 10 hours just stopping for petrol and toilet. It was nice to be able to let Boris go over 200km/hr

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Good to see you having a good time BC. Love the pic of you on the BMW , just goes to show they are all they are fracked up to be ;)