I'm Not Loyal To Triumph (yet).

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Cooky Boy, Jan 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    I have high expectations but keep my fingers crossed that sooner or later a bike manufacturer will get it right for me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Cooky Boy :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Warren71

Warren71 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    #43 Warren71, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    I think we're kindred spirits!

2010 ST3 was my favorite bike ever and I regretted trading it within weeks despite me wanting more and more out of it. Had it 8 years, which may be a record for me.

Similarly, (still) own a bmw 2016 R1200RS. Agree its a great long distance bike, jack of all trades, but even my 14 year old regards it as "dad's boring bike". Though I do like it from any angle but the rear. Just wish it was more flickable and had way more low to mid range torque.

Still have it, but looking to trade it for something with more spirit, but unwilling to give up the comfort. Hard to find. Waiting for a KTM GT to appear on the new 1290 trellis / engine ?

Now I have the speed twin as my go to. Less than 5k on it so far as I got it late summer / early fall, but digging it. Fun little ripper, but can be a relaxed joy when the mood strikes

I think you'll love the Thruxton.

I'd love to find a suspension set up that threads the needle between those two (thruxton RS and speed) , but ultimately picked the speed more for the seating position.

engine is great so long as you don't treat it as a sport bikes slamming through the gears and the lack of crazy top end may not be a bad thing the way I ride. (hard to ignore the demons in your head!).

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Hope you love the thurxton like I do the speed.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Triologist

Triologist New Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Torbay
    And on the even better news front, Cooky and I are good mates, I’m a Spippy RS owner and now, instead of swapping to ride his Beamer (see photo), I’ll get a go on that lovely looking Thruxton instead......happy days..........soon...........we hope.........

D14796BF-2EBF-4B88-8041-A9A4412484C2.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    No chance. The Thruxton is for experienced riders only!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    No chance. The Thruxton is for experienced riders only!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Triologist

Triologist New Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Torbay
    Did I say mate ??? Scrub that....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    I think you guys are riding my bikes !!!!

That's the speed triple I traded to the twin for .

was happy to have gotten $2,500 off the triple (demo) so I didnt take too hard a hit on the trade a year later. Great engine, but wide tank, forward cant on the seat and knees ached at 3+ hrs

For me was a one trick pony - but what a frickin trick !!!!!

half looking at the new one and wondering it a more neutral saddle, narrower tank, lower COG and lighter .... It may be the triple I was looking for in the first place!

Not sure if I can make it a tourer and swap the BMW for it cause no way the wife is going for 3 bikes in the garage and you'll have to pry the twin from my dead fingers like in Young Frankenstein

That speed was one of the best looking bikes I've had though. I do miss it....even if the fuel briefly cut out on me several times on the hwy at 80+ mph:scream:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Triologist

Triologist New Member

Nov 26, 2019
    Torbay
    Loving the Spippy RS - went from a Strippy 675 a year ago and no regrets - love the extra torque and sound, I actually prefer the slight extra bulk and it remains agile enough for my abilities. Brakes and suspension are a class above. I too managed to get it 3 grand off new price with only 600 miles on the clock. I like the ride but agree on the knees - I’m 6ft and get a bit of ache on long rides too. Can’t wait to try the 1200RS but have never thought I needed more power! Pity about the exhaust - I like the underslung look and the 1200s looks a bit of a major compromise. I’ve also got a grab rail fitted and my wife rides pillion sometimes - the new model looks to be pretty precarious for a passenger!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH
    agree on the exhaust

I was debating swapping to a SC more from a weight distribution angle than anything else, but liked the look of the twins better. And the SC looks a lot better than what they stuck on this new 1200 - yikes

also dont think it needs anymore power (and this really only gains at the very top end and a tiny blip early), but at 5'9" I wanted it in a more compact package and I never quite melded with the bike the way I did the street.

That bike was like an extension of my brain !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Hi Warren,
    I agree about the RS. The roads where I live are undulating, twisty and lined by hedges. Flickability is certainly missing in the RS, although it does track well once turned. The weight is notable when braking hard in the twists. Really it is a bike for long distances and not really a sports tourer.
    I did like the boxer twin though and feel it has plenty of torque to spare.
    If the bike were 20kg (That's 44lbs in Imperial) lighter it would be nearly perfect.
    Perhaps Triumph need to return with a new ST triple that's light and handles.
    As for the Thruxton, I have only ridden her once since purchase in December.
    We are still in lockdown and only allowed to make necessary journeys and I cannot really justify riding the motorcycle at present.
    First impressions were good. The Ohlins suspension is great and even after a 30 minute ride, I would suggest it is a lot better than the BMW ESA set up.
    I too would like to see a new KTM GT. Unfortunately, I cannot love the styling of KTMs as hard as I try. Also, as I live in a very wet part of the world, KTM electrics do not have a great reputation and this puts me off too.
    Happy riding.
    Cooky

• Like Like x 1
  12. Junksmith

Junksmith Active Member

I have owned my matt silver Tiger 800 XRX for three years now and I still walk into the shed and think, 'That is a beautiful bike'. I am so glad I didn't buy something ordinary like a Honda.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Warren71

May 11, 2019
    UTAH

Yeah - always amazed when I get on the bmw I think "this really is a good bike". Its is a jack of all trades - good at everything, great at none. Lacks some low end grunt, not super flickable, (but adequate), and not as good in triple digits (mph) as some bikes I've ridden. But truthfully, probably the most well rounded bike I've ever had.

Not sure if the weight matters. Its carried low and the R model was dull IMO, despite shedding some pounds. Rode a 1250 R and was quite disappointed. Granted I had the speed triple at the time.

Agree on KTM looks and reliability, but now have nearby dealer

I'm debating rear ohlins swap on the twin and new springs on the front. You feel those give you a plush enough ride to be comfortable when dialed back a bit?

I was on the fence last year and almost swapped the front springs first. Gets vague with speed. One huge benefit to the thruxton.

14. Gmorey

Gmorey New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    U.S.A.
    I have a couple of questions for Speedmaster owners; What kind of mileage are you getting? and, I'd like to extend the front end around 6 inches, anyone done something like that?

IMG_5182.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Is that a euphemism for something!?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hi @Gmorey! Welcome to the forum. That's a good looking Speedmaster in the photo you posted. May I suggest you introduce yourself in the Newbies Hangout section? I think more folks will see that post and you may get an answer to your question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gmorey

Gmorey New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    U.S.A.
    Doesn't everytone love a smart ass? Wow!

18. Gmorey

Gmorey New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    U.S.A.
    Oh really why is that?

19. Gmorey

Gmorey New Member

Nov 25, 2020
    U.S.A.
    #59 Gmorey, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Are you a Speedmaster owner? If so do you find the spurs on the foot pegs troublesome? I drag them often and worry about them catching a rut and bringing me down.

20. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Yeah, that’s me!
    No offence meant Gmorey.
    Nice looking bike you have there.
    Stay safe and shiny side up.

• Like Like x 2