Featured Scrambler Im Keeping What I Got

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Lanerider, Mar 12, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I think the 1200 is trying to be too many things. It's supposed to be more off road focused but it's way too heavy, it needs to lose at least 100lbs. It's also too heavy with insufficient power, as Andy mentions, to be a Super Motard type street weapon. I guess it could be an alternative to a full on adventure bike if you find a full dress 1250GS intimidating. The 1200 engine is a nice lump but it's just been packaged wrong in this particular instance IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I think your bang on there, its not focused enough at any one particular thing to excel in any area. Even if they'd given the more road orientated XC a smaller front wheel, it would have helped massively.

3. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I’ve only sat on a 1200 Scrambler in the showroom and that was enough to put me off ...the weight & seat height convinced me a test ride would be a very bad idea whereas the Street Scrambler is a lovely well balanced bike that has made me more confident and comfortable and than any other bike I’ve had.

4. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow
    Thanks for info. 59 it’s what got me into Triumph two yrs. ago. I seen a Scrambler 900 in a Honda showroom (it was last bike as walking out). It caught my eye and although wanted to buy the bike insurance quotes were beyond rediculas.

Anyway, ended up with Triumph T100 and thinking of a number side board if I keep the bike.

I been unlucky with it breaking down three times (first time 70mph on clock) and at its first annual service not impressed at all with local Triumph dealer.

Lots going for the bike though. If I keep the bike, I will keep in mind your experience with number board. You got great bike there

5. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I'm surprised at the insurance as the Street Scramber and the T100 are very similar in terms of price and performance and I'd guess risk.

It might be a Glasgow thing - my modified SS is costing me £80 a year fully comprehensive, but then I am in my 50's and live in a quiet part of Gloucestershire

6. Eddie17

Eddie17 Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Glasgow
    I think it was more to do with the sites I went to for quotes ...Algorithms so to speak and being too honest with upgraded accessories (£2000 worth and more than six you have to declare them). My car also had a bump two months before.
    I really liked that bike but £1300 for a year’s insurance way too much!
    The more I tried to get it down it just went up. One month later when went to buy the T100 it went back to £110ish annually for quotes.
    Really liked the Scrambler as they say" what for you won’t go by you "

Gloucestershire must be great area for biking was in Morton-in-Marsh many years ago lovely area especially in summer

• Like Like x 1
  7. Haro

Haro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Australia
    #27 Haro, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    The XE 1200 is only 2kg heavier (dry) than the 900 street scrambler and carries 3.9 litres more fuel than the 900.
    Triumph built a brilliant bike in the 1200 Scramblers for use on winding roads, bitumen or dirt. Even easier single track they do fine. They are a fun bike, not a pure SM or ADV bike.
    Do like the look of the 900's though.

You want the 1200 Scrambler to be 45 kg lighter than it is? It is only 13 kg heavier than the 700 Tenere wet. No manufacturer will ever be able to build a +1000 cc ADV or off road bike at 175kg and màke a profit selling them.

8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I'm just comparing the 1200 to my Husaberg 570 which is around 100kg (not lb!) less, around 60bhp and can still be a handful off road. I guess much depends on what "off roading" you like. The Berg is a real PITA on tarmac, uncomfortable, poor tank range, the 1200 would crush it but it's built to do one thing specifically so is bound to be much better at it. Even at the relatively light weight it is the Berg takes some shifting when you're flat on your back with it on top of you or it's up to the axles in mud!

9. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    I enjoy the Street Scrambler and end up adding more extras to the bike over time. It makes you feel you want to keep the bike as it is more personal to you.

It does remind me of the Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time" and when they ask him the age of the Cadillac his reply is a bit like owning my Triumph.

Uh, what model is it?
    Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56
    '57, '58' 59' automobile
    It's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67
    '68, '69, '70 automobile - (One Piece at a Time),,,,,,,,:joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Thanks for that great explanation. Always good to hear some of the less than stellar points and reviews as we don't all experience the same things.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Haro

Haro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Australia
    #31 Haro, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Have owned a 390 Berg since 2010 so understand the type of riding they can do.compared to a 1200 Scrambler. Don't think Triumph ever invisioned the 1200 to go anywhere near those types of single-track.
    Doing easy single track, 2 track and sand and it is in its element. Doesn't mind the long road trips either, the cruise control is most welcome.
    Screenshot_2021-03-15-08-47-02-01.jpg

• Like Like x 7