Ignition Switch May Be Loose

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Rachel, Jun 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rachel

Rachel Member

Jun 10, 2020
    San Jose California
    I say chaps,

I was just out for a spin on the Thruxton 900, and the ignition switch seems to have turned itself off!

I was doing about 75, and had one of those silly 6 inch (15cm) long motorcycle key fobs. It's the first time I had her up to that speed. Suddenly the engine cut out! I pulled in the clutch and went to restart, as you do, but nothing. It wasn't until I pulled over on the side of the road that I saw the ignition key had turned ever so slightly, cutting the engine off.

So first thing to do is to not have a 6" long key fob, that can't help.

Is there any kind of tighthenable bolts in the ignition switch that I can tighten up to make it tighter?

Much obliged,

Rachel

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The switch internally has springs and ball bearings that allow the tumbler and ignition plate to turn ! The balls drop into location dimples and thus hold the switch in a fixed position ! If you are really keen you could install stronger/stiffer spring's , but that's a very difficult solution to achieve ! How do I know this ... ? A much abused very old Kawasaki 250 single I once owned the switch was Solo loose !

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Rachel
    Hopefully just a once occurrence but hanging heavy items on the keys does not do the ignition any favours. My ignition every so often I get some oil and drip it into it just to lubricate.

Regards
    Joe.

4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Used to see this a lot working.in garages. Always women. They have a 3 lb. piece of junk on thier key ring. Next thing you know they are in the shop getting the ignition switch replaced. My wife STILL does this despite my telling her not.to for.almost 48 years. I carried keys to some.very expensive properties for 30 years and never lost them. Must be a female thing. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rachel

Rachel Member

Jun 10, 2020
    San Jose California
    Fuck you, sir :kissing:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Rachel

Rachel Member

Jun 10, 2020
    San Jose California
    Yeah, it wasn't heavy, just large and I think acted as a sail. I could try WD40, but I suspect the issue is that the lock turns too easily rather than not easy enough.

7. Rachel

Rachel Member

Jun 10, 2020
    San Jose California
    #7 Rachel, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    I'm intrigued :)

I have the Haynes manual for the bike on it's way. I wouldn't expect such a manual to contain details about stripping the locks down, but if it does, I will totally do it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I'd rather not...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rachel

Rachel Member

Jun 10, 2020
    San Jose California
    To rephrase it:

Don't be so tiresome.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Let’s put it this way. The ignition switch is entirely suitable for its intended use...... as a keyed switch. It struggles when you turn it into a coat hangar in a gale.
    Is it wholly rational to physically attack the switch when you might address the gyrating load on the key?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Reckon the guys and myself are saying maybe you should leave well alone, as said remove key fob and maybe just keep the actual bike keys on the ring, could be rather than the pure weight and winddrag effect it had on your key maybe it also slightly stopped the ignition switch from hitting fully home effectively.
    See how it goes with the key fob removed, maybe all will be ok Rachel :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brad.b

Brad.b Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Leicestershire
    So my 14 plate thruxton does this when I only have the ignition key on it, first time I did a tonne up it did exactly the same thing. don’t get me wrong a key ring with loads of stuff on probably doesn’t help but I could certainly do with a new barrel for mine which I’ll shortly be ordering

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rachel

Rachel Member

Jun 10, 2020
    San Jose California
    #13 Rachel, Dec 20, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Yeah, mine will do it with just a key in as well. It also does this little trick where the key turns just a fraction, engine runs but you lose turn signals and the horn won't work.

You probably just need to tighten the barrel up rather than get a whole new one. It's tricky to just reach down and push the key back when it goes, so I get round it by not going so fast, most of the time.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rachel

Rachel Member

Jun 10, 2020
    San Jose California
    ALSO: I'm curious to know how the new barrel works out. Do let us know :)

• Like Like x 2