Featured Ignition Location In A Bonnie Makes Sense!

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Mischa Vladivostok, May 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    So many people decide to change it. To me it is very cleverly placed, and makes perfect sense. I've made a video to show what I mean:

• Like Like x 6
  2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    That is one reason I like the ignition there Mischa.
    Must admit you did possibly over exaggerate the benefit by not locking the steering which is on the other side. lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    The steering lock really is an afterthought on the Bonnie though, right? I mean, even the petrol cap doesn't come with a lock. o.0

• Like Like x 1
  5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I bought the relocation bracket when I had the T100 as I thought having the ignition down on the right hand side would be more useful and intuitive - it wasn't so I moved it back and am quite happy to keep it there on my SE.

7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Happy with 'keeping on the left'. It's 'comfort' thing!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    True for the one in the link, I was only looking for one that would fit my 09 T100.

For the later models, with in clock lights there's this one.

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/th...ding-ignition-relocation-position-35795-p.asp

Or, if you need it for some reason you can get the above complete with USB sockets.

http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/th...-power-port-air-cooled-twins-only-39507-p.asp

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    As an aside I was looking at what was available and came across this little beauty for the speedo only Bonnie models.

730-648_A.jpg

I saw it on a Swedish site and apart from thinking it an excellent mod I moved on.

In retrospect I'm now wondering if I should think about fabricating a mounting to include the above gauge which would enable me to remove the current tacho. This should mean I could fabricate the binnacle to enable me to mount the sat nav alongside the speedo and tidy the whole thing up to make it look more like it belongs. And I suppose include the ignition switch in there too.

Plenty to think about.

I have some suitable aluminium plate that I could mill to the correct shape, whatever that might be.

I'll have to have a think about it and perhaps make a mock up in ply to see what it would look like and identify any potential gotcha's.

• Like Like x 3
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I like your thinking Mr Toad.
    The digits might be a bit small for my tired eyes, watching two needles in the same clock might also confuse me, but I do like the dual gauge.
    Next question, how much ?

11. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Brilliant! - I've just ordered one for my SE. I was looking at a thread on another forum which suggested drilling out the hole yourself but this is much safer! Will post pics when done.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    A very good question indeed.

I did a bit more research last night and the answer to your question is about $480 :eek: so not cheap but other options are available :rolleyes:

I also realised that there is another important question for me. Is the speedo mechanical like an 09 Bonneville and for the most part the answer is no.

As it turns out that question wasn't the show stopper I'd imagined. Some of these aftermarket speedometers don't even require an engine sensor, they are GPS enabled and use that to show your speed. Have a look on fleabay for examples or Google for the nicer, more expensive ones.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    MORE EXPENSIVE! :eek: Good gracious, if I told you I bought a Honda CB 250 for £40, a VW Polo for £90, A Mk2 Jaguar for £175, A Rover 3.5SDI for £300, somehow I cant see myself paying $480 for a clock no matter how much I liked it.
    The above vehicles were purchased in the 70s by the way but all good runners for many years.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Arrived today from squaredeals - prompt as usual!
    Not sure when I will get chance to fit it as w**k is getting in the way!:mad::mad::mad:
    2017-05-10 12.50.45.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I asked the other half if she would prefer a centrally mounted ignition on her Bonnie.
    Her response was no, it's part of it's character and she doesn't want it changed.

16. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    For me it's a part of it's character I can easily live without - the number of times I've walked away from the bike and left the key in place. Never done that with the Tiger or the Trident with their centrally mounted ignitions - so I'm hoping this mod will preserve my bike!

17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Her memory's obviously better :D

Personally, I would find it (and the steering lock) a real PITA if I owned the bike..... :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Are you going to have to extend any cabling for that?

19. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Having a better memory than me is not a difficult achievement!:D:D
    I have kind of got used to the position, as this is my second Bonnie but agree with you - it is a bit of a PITA to use and the steering lock - don't get me started! I almost snapped the key off in mine and haven't used it since :mad:

20. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I will be finding that out :)mad::mad:) but it looks as if there is enough slack to manage it.