IAM Members

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by JimDiesel, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Failure is not an option..... Bit extreme...:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  2. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    Extreme hobby, stay extreme... Stay alive... :wink:

30 motorcyclists are injured or killed by other vehicles at junctions in the uk every day!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Blimey I'm beginning to feel like a novice on a bike, never had a days training. Hope it all goes well for you guys, I'm sure I must have loads of bad habits; took my test in 81 on my 250 a few days after my 17th birthday, two circles round the block, read a number plate, and about four questions on the Highway Code..... and passed.

Did a one day bike safe course a few years ago but would not call it training, more of an assement and a run down of the many things I was doing wrong; well the copper did say "ride like you normaly ride and I will follow you"

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I wonder how many of those accidents are the fault of the motorcycle rider? I do think training on motorcycle awareness should be part of the car test. Taking time to double check for bikes before pulling out of junctions would save many.

I work on the assumption car drivers have not seen me and it's worked so far :upyeah:

5. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    One of the things a good friend of mine does as he approaches a junction if there is another vehicle waiting to turn in or out of it is to weave the bike slightly in a controlled manor on the approach to the junction.
    When I first seen him do this I asked why? His reply was 'if I catch their eye as in what's that knob doing then they've even recognised the fact he is there not just seen him!'
    Who cares what they think, he caused them to think about him...

He couldn't remember if it was from his IAM or MAC training but he always does it and I have seen it work.....

Rich, it's not expensive, it's not just about safety but also getting the most and more fun from your bike and riding...

If you google NAM it is there free assessment ride day this weekend I think, you can book a slot and get your free assessment and see what you think mate.
    Won't hurt to try it, as a member you get to join there weekend rideouts too, always a bonus if you are bored. And others are not available...

Good discount on insurance and other benefits too :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    There is always plenty a biker can do to stay alive at junctions, that's part of the stuff you learn on these courses....

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I did a Honda MAC 2 day course when i bought my CBR..
    Brilliant 2 days ridding.. and the instructor on the pan could shift as well...
    I would like to do another 2 day course or something similar, not sure i want to do the full IAM..
    Will most likely do going to the Chris Walker race school this year if i get time.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    SB, let me know if you decide to do CW, I'm interested too :upyeah:

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    ok will do.. should be a good laugh... not sure i'll keep up with my mates as there smaller than me and used to riding sports bikes...
    I do normally give them a run for their money though... even being a fat boy....

• Like Like x 1
  10. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I thought that was a Harley?

• Like Like x 2
  11. JimDiesel

JimDiesel Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Nottingham
    :upyeah::upyeah:

12. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    OK, didn't start my RoADAR course in June because of a conflict of interests (main one being our rally) but I started it today. I expected the RoADAR boys to be a bit anal but they were a really nice bunch of ordinary blokes. Bit of a double-edged sword on my appraisal: my instructor doesn't believe that I've not had formal training - a major ego boost, but as he really doesn't believe it he thinks I'm some sort of lying twat! May have to kill him and get another instructor? Suggestions on a postcard to the usual address...

• Like Like x 2
  13. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Well done Bry... Just tell him you've watched loads of training DVDs.....

• Like Like x 1
  14. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I did mention this week that maybe, just maybe, 37 years experience on a bike on the road might have helped?

15. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    Tell him you learnt to ride on the motorcycle simulator games in the arcades :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I got my knee down on a dolphin...

• Like Like x 1
  17. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    That's just sick!

• Like Like x 1
  18. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    You are so fucking wrong in the head mate! View attachment 1996

19. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    One of the Arcade dolphins, the kids ride....
    I was doing the scumball rally in Spain and it was a photo opportunity for fast car magazine... they were doing the rally with us...

Oh and i was pissed!!!!!!!!!!

20. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    That's even sicker!

Do you have any photos?

• Like Like x 1