Featured Thruxton I was going to have a shave tomorrow

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by dickydido, Feb 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    ........my beard is just a Winter thing for me, I was going to shave it off tomorrow......but me and Mrs. dickydido have just been to the local dealers Bobber launch night......

......and while I was licking the petrol tank of the Bobber and lusting over it.....(plus enjoying the complimentary beer)......she,.......the crazy, beautiful fool was,....totally unbeknown to me.....was, actually buying the bloody thing for me!!!.......I just cannot believe what has just happened.....

.....so now.....to really get into the 'hipster vibe' I better keep the beard......I am still totally in shock.....so lucky or what?.....

Cheers,

dickydido

IMG_1035.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  2. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Hey dickydido, for real? I mean not a wind up?

What a woman!!

Congrats mate. On both the bike & your good lady.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Blimey. Sounds like Mrs.dickydido is a keeper.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Happy bike day! :D

p. s. We all hate you now :(;):D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Good looking chap in the photo too

...behind that bloke on the bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    .........well, we've been back from the dealers for an hour now and it's all still true!!!......so no wind-up boys!.......

.....I am certain there is going to be some mega pay back.....but my brownie point count was well in credit.....just done the new kitchen thing!.....

.....we have a good few miles on our clock together....28 years in fact so yes, she is a definite keeper....

....many thanks andyc1 on my advanced 'hipster training'....normally at my age it's usually hip replacement!...

....and Mr O.......please can you get the Bobber Section of the Forum up and running asap.....and , I still love you all!.....

.......I just f'ing cannot believe just what has happened.....this is actually better than winning the Lottery, what she has just done was out of love, the Lottery would only have been luck, no comparison if you really do know what is valuable in your life, thank you Mrs dickydido.

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 4
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    As they say, 'lucky in love, lucky in life'.

• Like Like x 1
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Top Trumps dickydido

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    I might just be in luck too then.

Me & Mrs B also have 28 years on the clock AND I'm ordering a brand new kitchen at the weekend :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Well, you must be doing something right dickydido
    Good on yer mate and yer missus

• Like Like x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Well done you lucky bugger!
    (To be fair though my missus did in fact buy my Bonneville behind my back (so to speak) as I was out on the test ride so that I could take it home that day. I have since paid her back - so not quite the same deal you have!)

• Like Like x 1
  12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Oh, you always have to pay them back

• Like Like x 3
  13. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    Congrats on the new bike. What a good lady you have :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    What the one with his hands in his pockets, he looks like he just been told that bike has been sold to someone else.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Gonna cost ya. Congrats, enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    Well done ,mister. Has she traded your thrux in too ? ...and out of interest, for research purposes, do the hairs of her dickydido hang down t.....never mind, sorry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Dozers Dad,

.....uuummmmm, guess I'll have to change my name from dickydido to dickyfrado now then!!!...(check out the glossary on andyc1's post)......

It's taken Mrs dickydido all those 28 years of marriage to get me to tidy up my act......now I'm turning into a bit of a clothes horse.....but definitely I will never be a 'Size Zero' model......I like my pies and beer too much.......it was just short of 16 stone the last time I dared to step on the scales......we got one of those scales that speaks your weight.....when I got on it squawked out...'one at a time please!!!!'.......

....it'll certainly give the Bobber something to think about up the hills in our neck of the woods, it'll make that exhaust bark a lot deeper!!........the dealer fired it up during the launch and it certainly sounded fruity when he gave a wrist full......

Cheers,

dickyfrado

• Like Like x 1
  18. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Wag,

......what hairs mate?........got a smooth 'race track' to play on!.......

.....I offered up the Thruxton as a trade but she said, 'not yet......enjoy both at least until the bailiffs are breaking down the door!!'............what a girl!.........

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 3
  19. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    #18 dickydido, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    ......well, I know it's all arse about face.....buying the bike and then going for a test ride but that's just the way availability, production schedules and Mrs dickydido' impetuousness has meant it's worked out....

.......had a really good hours thrash out in the 'sticks' that surrounds us.........we got the Downs which are mostly ups!......gert big hills, valleys and lots of quick swervery with the odd 'Chelsea Tractor' and lots of real tractors, some smooth roads and a lot that are not......so I got a good impression of the overall dynamics of the bike.......and I got to say.....WOW!....what a hooligan this bike is.

Even if you are never, ever intending to buy a Bobber, go and give your local dealers demo a thrashing........you WILL arrive back smiling.

I cannot believe how different it is to my Thruxton which is great.....the Thrux is all about lent into it, high 'average' speed officer!, swooping and arcing through bends and only easing up when you need fuel for the bike or a pint for you.

The Bobber is a total chameleon of a bike....it looks like this old banger from the 40's / 50's but it goes like stink, handles and stops well, cannot handle mega bumps/pot holes/ripples that well at speed.....there is only about 3 inches movement at either end but it's never totally wayward or uncomfortable and in the next breath you can potter along and everything feels just as right and enjoyable!!......and the exhaust note is very rorty under throttle with a great burble with pops and bangs on the over run.

I used to race with the VMCC, I rode for an old guy who used to race himself but sadly bone cancer put a stop to all that so he got his fun watching me thrash the nuts off his bikes......he was a Rudge man....we raced a 1929 Rudge Ulster....track, hill climbs, grass track, drag and sprint racing.......all we did was change the tyres to knobbliest or stickies and change the handlebars from clip ons to cow horns.....it was a 500cc, methanol burning monster, it weighed nothing but accelerated in an explosive, raw, instant, angry manner........when you yank the Bobbers throttle hard back it feels just the same......please go and try one.

Now I just got to wait for delivery.

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 4
  20. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Member

Jul 23, 2016
    In the Air
    The Bobber is a remarkable bike that can "make progress" and surprise the rider and fellow Bikers in the right pair of hands.... learn to hang off for extra ground clearance and away you go!
    Enjoy it
    As much as I love my wife of 25 years the chance of her buying me a bike is sadly zero... you lucky man having such a gem

• Like Like x 1
  21. Luegolover

Luegolover Member

Apr 5, 2016
    London
    You are a lucky man dickydido. Your wife is clearly a fabulous partner for you. Owning a Thruxton and a Bobber is downright cool. I know it is an ugly emotion in a grown man but I am jealous.

• Like Like x 2