I Walked Away From This

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by speeder, Feb 1, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    That is the stumbling block preventing my mate getting a settlement. He doesn't blame the NFU (the car drivers insurance) either.

2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #22 Sandi T, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, @speeder, but am glad that you were not badly hurt. But, yes, the shock of a motor vehicle accident is stunning. And it's sad that your bike didn't fare so well. I'm with you on not wearing an open face helmet. I had a bicycle (not even a motorcycle!) crash about three years ago and my head was the last thing to hit the ground. I remember looking at my cracked little cycling helmet and how much damage had been to it. And at that point I also vowed to only wear a full-face helmet for the rest of my riding days.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Very pleased you're OK :).

4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Claims management companies aren't interested in fighting your case, just in settling quickly. Generally they are middlemen
    https://www.sleeblackwell.co.uk/legal-articles/claims-management-company
    Another bike specific legal firm with a great reputation is White Dalton, again they have to be bikers to work there.
    https://www.whitedalton.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #25 Wire-Wheels, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    I see we have these bone-headed idiots on both sides of the pond. I am starting back to riding again after 3yrs. off. I am much more concerned about these kinds of fools than I am with my advanced age. Just installed bright yellow LEDs in my aux. lamps to get their attention but, if they have their nose in their cell phone or, are putting on their makeup while driving, the lights will not help. Glad you are OK. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gordon MacBean

Gordon MacBean Active Member

Nov 16, 2021
    Welling, KENT
    @speeder any accident you can walk away from is a blessing. Insurance co's are a pain, but some do actually do decent jobs and get the money to you asap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Mini

Mini Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Australia
    Wow lucky boy, glad you're well enough to put in a claim, dick heads are world wide, trouble is we come off second best on two wheels !!! We also have the roos Downunder to look for???

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    “Intercepter”. Good name for that bike.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. David Caddell

David Caddell New Member

Jun 17, 2022
    Newtownabbey
    Glad you are well, although sometimes shoulder injuries and the like take a while to manifest, so don't rush into settling your full claim. Don't forget about your lid and gear replacement. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Royston Jones

Royston Jones Member
    Subscriber

Jul 2, 2020
    Strensall York

11. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    Glad you are OK.
    Had a car written off and spent some time arguing with the insurance co. over the cost of replacing the car. Ended up getting prices from dealers for the same car, mileage and condition and forwarding it to them. I told them that if they could get one cheaper to go for it and let me know when they'd deliver.
    I ended up getting more than I paid for the original car.
    They did get upset when I declined a courtesy car, it's where they make most of their money.

• Like Like x 2
  12. robert moore

robert moore Nobby

Jul 4, 2021
    Malvern Hills
    Happy to hear you are able to share the story. Never accept the first offer, if you haggle nicely you can get more. Sadly it’s never enough to replace like for like which makes a bit of a mockery adding a value IMHO. Comforting to hear you escaped what could have been so much worse. Take care and be sure to get back on soon

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I did the workday "crawl" into the city in Southern California for 30 years. The things I have seen people doing while driving would fill a book. Really makes you think twice some mornings before leaving the house. I used to pass a guy once in a while, driving with his knees, sheet music in his lap, playing a flute. One morning we were doing the "slow roll" about 5mph into Orange County and the lady behind me is putting on her makeup. I am in my car and every time the traffic starts to check up a bit, she comes close to rear-ending me. After about 5-6 cycles of this I just brake-checked her real hard. She did not hit me, but she DID put the makeup away, [probably had to wash her face and start over]. Not the least bit sorry I did that. ...J.D.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    A guy playing a flute while he was driving? :scream: I think that one takes the cake, @Wire-Wheels. What the heck are people thinking? Oh, wait. They aren't. :mad:

image.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Glad to say I retired from commuting in 2008 without a scratch. So.Cal is a really scary place to commute on the freeways. I quit doing it on a bike in about the early 80's. I valued my life too much. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  16. John Clifton

John Clifton Member

Aug 3, 2022
    Aldershot
    So glad you are OK. Sounds really nasty. Hmm @Wire-Wheels - I used to brake-check drivers but now consider it a far too dangerous thing to do. I slow down if I'm being tail-gated so that I don't have to brake too hard. Queueing traffic is harder to solve though...

17. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Thanks everyone for your best wishes and advice.
    Still waiting for their assessor to come and have a look. I will post an update when we (eventually) come to a settlement.
    Not too bothered at the moment...the weather is cold so their rental car is getting plenty of use!

• Love You Love You x 1
  18. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Only when I get pissed off enough

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1