Featured I Love This Place

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by TomMarshall, Sep 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TomMarshall

TomMarshall Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Bristol
    Progress has been slow over the last couple of weeks with being away for a few weekends, plus clearing our downstairs and moving in with the mother-in-law (o_O) ready for a major kitchen/dining room knock through.

Managed to get back in the shed last night having sprayed the forks, yokes and swing-arm. What colour I hear you ask? Yep, spot on, black. :p

Put a new All Balls swing-arm bearing assembly together but realised it came without seal cups which were ordered immediately. Once the swing arm is in the frame is then complete, and the new Hagon shocks will go on. It's starting to come together...

Opening some style questions to the floor:

1. Do I get rid of the fork sleeves and have just dust seals?

2. Do I keep the original wheel style (black with silver)? Example image below

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

yamaha-sr-500-s-spoked-wheels-1980-8.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Keep it as per image

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    TomMarshall
    You sure are cracking on there. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TomMarshall

Jul 10, 2019
    Bristol
    #44 TomMarshall, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Wow. November 2019 was the last time I posted an update :eek:

I suppose I did have an extension built, recovered from that and then the world went to shit... anyhow, back in the shed I am at last. Had a few hiccups related to studs for the rear suspension. Ended up having to re-weld a threaded section on as it sheared off when fitting the new shocks. A bump in the road, they may say.

So, with shocks fitted it only seemed right to drop the engine back in. As mentioned when stripping the thing down, I discovered a couple of cracked engine mounts. We fabricated the lower frame mount when welding the seat hoop but I ended up buying a new top mount. Turns out the manufacturing tolerance where this came from are waaaay out. Ended up having to drill out one side to get the bolt through. Easily solved and means my old kitchen unit is now redundant, and massively in the way :joy: dropped the bike onto an engine mount and got the front wheel on, then started adding as much as I could before I start having a go at the wiring loom.

I’ve swapped out the original headlight for a small Bates headlight from Baak, as well as two sets of mini indicators which are mounted on the yoke bolts and will go on the suspension shock mounts. These require all new wiring which is going to be a steep learning curve.

Photos attached for your pleasure.

Question for the floor:

Do I buy a mini head unit to replace the double original speedo and rev counter? Can’t see past the dials looking giant over the light...

C1996961-88E9-40CF-A0EC-D7E99DB4B2F9.jpeg

DC30E5F4-6477-4621-8361-48B44D33EB4D.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  5. TomMarshall

Jul 10, 2019
    Bristol
    More images for the dials/headlight question...plus a shiny new air filter

A49F866B-43FB-4584-8691-A02D2DEF9C9D.jpeg

D02CF27F-7F13-4EFC-A71E-A868EB78C3E0.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  6. TomMarshall

Jul 10, 2019
    Bristol
    Balls. Kinda messed up.

Managed to get to the point where the back wheel is back on in prep to reset the back brake, then realised this...

Back to the drawing board with this loop. I either cut it off and shorten it, or put a couple of cuts either side and raise it.

IMG_4694.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Of course a Yam forum is a ghost town!!!
    Too feckin reliable nothing to talk about:p

• Funny Funny x 3