Featured I Got A Call Last Night.

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Jim Baker, Oct 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim Baker

Jim Baker Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    My son & I picked up the bike this afternoon! Took it for a ride, Sounds good, and looks even better. The Tricore Mufflers sound amazing too. Here is a little teaser.

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Thanks go to Mike & Luke at Union Motorcycle Classics and to ReActs Ministries for such a great raffle!

• Like Like x 12
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jim Baker
    It sure does sound gorgeous. Bet that grin is so hard to wipe of your mush. You are one lucky man. Enjoy the beastie.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    You lucky so and so! Gorgeous bike mate, enjoy it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Congratulations - what a great birthday present!

Beautiful looking bike too.

Wouldn't be too keen on the rack on the tank myself though - hard breaking can cause an unwanted rack-tackle interface!

DS

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Not much worry about the hard braking causing a problem, the brakes are 69 vintage so no front wheelies on this bike! at least not with this LardArse on the saddle. LOL

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    What a beautiful bike Jim, congratulations :heart_eyes: Sounds amazing :imp:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. MARK DOBSON

MARK DOBSON Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Houston TX
    Sounds great.
    soo Jelly.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Wonderful ride. Looks and sounds just like I remember them. Rock On.

9. Highwayman Nico

Highwayman Nico Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Denver, CO USA
    She's a beauty! Congrats

10. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Was it really a prize?

The bike runs great! Just doesn't fit me very well with the rear mounted pegs. Kickstart is in the way of the shifter, pain in the foot.
    I've had to sort a few things to be street legal, needed a mirror, horns and the brake light needed to work. Added a rear brake switch, front brake switch only worked if you had the brake full on! The front brake dragged, wasn't setup right, the twin leading shoe had to be sorted so the brakes would not drag.
    Tranny would shift past second into a false neutral, and it would jump out of fourth.
    Yesterday took it out for a ride to see how the jetting changes worked, seemed OK but still need a little more work to get it right. While riding back to the house down the highway it jumped out of fourth again and after trying to shift it back into gear it would not shift into any gear! I used the hill to coast as far as I could but still ended up pushing it home the last half to three quarters of a mile. Glad I had sorted the front brake, it was easier to push.
    I've taken the outer side panel off and the tranny is stuck with the shifting cam jammed above 4th gear is my guess. In the morning I'll take the plunger out and hope it let me get the inner cover off so I an index the tranny.

Any thoughts?

Resized_20201107_133530.jpeg

Resized_20201107_133533.jpeg

Resized_20201107_133541.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  11. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Could be a number of things, camplate detent or plunger, worn selectors or rollers on selectors fallen off, bearing or thrust washer problems, the list goes on etc. Only stripping and inspecting the whole box will reveal all.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    I loosened the index plunger on the bottom of the transmission and the gears relaxed and I was able to pull the inner cover off. All looked good so I indexed the shift cam and quadrant and it seems to have solved the problem. Haven't ridden it to be sure but it shifts on the bench so should work on the road. I ordered new seals for the shifter shaft and the kick starter, they were weeping oil and doesn't appear that they were renewed. Also ordered new gaskets for the inner and outer covers.

Resized_20201109_132111.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Jim Baker

Aug 6, 2018
    Klamath Falls, OR
    Finished putting the transmission back together after getting it indexed correctly, hopefully that takes care of missing second gear and jumping out of 4th. Installed the stock footpegs as well.

20210111_134835.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  14. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    #54 darkman, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Hopefully all will be well, one thing you could also do is place a 3/16 spacer under the detent plunger spring as early springs are known to be problematic. edit :) you can also vastly improve the shift by leaving out the inner gasket and using a sealer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1