I fancy a 70's Commando

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Bonzo, Apr 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Thanks bogg

I've read that the combat engined Commandos are best avoided - would you agree? ....and how do you spot a combat engine?

Cheers

2. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Nothing wrong with the combat motor..when they first came out there was a fault with the main bearings giving up within 7000 miles but as I said if you find one with more miles they've already been changed to superblends if you find one with less miles just run it till you hear the rattle..I changed mine over a weekend it's not a hard job

• Like Like x 1
  3. ffg

ffg New Member

Oct 7, 2016
    UK
    I used to ride a 750 Combat in 1973. VERY difficult for a 9 stone weakling to start, I took to parking it on a hill. Going up the (then new) M3 at well over 100 I felt a cold dampness on my leg, looked down to see one carb had vibrated apart. Happy days.

IMG_4906.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. slimlavud

slimlavud Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2015
    London, UK
    Bonzo, if you are serious about buying a Commando, a friend of mine has one that he a bit sick of. It is a 1972 750 in black with a very rare small tank he has owned it almost from new. It is in good condition and was running very well - he was using it regularly - when riding it recently, at very low speed (luckily) the gearbox bearing went, complete with the kickstart zooming downwards and the box locking up. He has had it in his lock up since (about 2 months). Text or call me if you are interested, 07896 921115. It won't be for nothing but it could be very reasonable and the gearbox is an easy and common repair.

• Like Like x 2
  5. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    General concensus of opinion is to get the latest version of whichever model of bike you fancy.
    750 Commandos are said to be livelier than the 850s, which were somewhat strangled by emissions regulations, despite the fact that they produce more torque.:confused:
    The starter motor can nowadays be uprated, but at a cost! This is assuming the previous owner hasn't done it already.
    A mate of mine had a Combat engine Interstate which chewed its main bearings around the 3-4000 miles mark.:eek: The dealer already had replacements in stock just waiting for his call. Shouldn't be an issue these days.

All of the above has been recovered from the darkest recesses of my failing memory bank and should therefore be treated with the deepest suspicion! It all seems pretty plausible to me though!:)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Sent you a text mucker.

7. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Layshaft bearing..easy fix

8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    One in there 70s would be retired from the services now and wearing a poppy . Maybe a younger one would be fitter .But if it floats your boat and they don't mind Happy days :heart::laughing::joy::joy::joy:

9. owen thomas

owen thomas Member

Aug 10, 2020
    s.e. Michigan
    I had several Commandos over the years. Raced them in the early 80's till I switched to Ducatis. Recently got the itch to have another again, bought a pretty nice 850 - see photo - now mostly apart, building back up with lots of Colorado Norton parts. Keeping me busy and home during this Covid thing.
    fullsizeoutput_545.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. owen thomas

owen thomas Member

Aug 10, 2020
    s.e. Michigan
    I had several Commandos over the years. Raced them in the early 80's till I switched to Ducatis. Recently got the itch to have another again, bought a pretty nice 850 - see photo - now mostly apart, building back up with lots of Colorado Norton parts. Keeping me busy and home during this Covid thing.
    View attachment 111757

• Like Like x 4
  11. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I could really grow very fond of that bike!! Keep us abreast of what you are doing with it, Owen. Remember that a picture paints a thousand words!! Enjoy!
    A mate of mine (I'll call him Colin, for that was his name) had one with the 750cc Combat engine in it. When the main bearing went - as they all did - the dealer congratulated him on managing to get (just) over 3,000 miles on it before it went 'pop'. Poor Colin failed to see the funny side of that remark - for at least 20 seconds. He eventually ended up with a lovely new Trident T160V, which I can still remember riding around the Canterbury area, just the once, with a big smile on my face! R.I.P. Colin, a true Kiwi!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Black, '72 750 Commando Interstate (5 imperial gallon tank!) with the Combat engine. Still got it - just needs another rebuild! Great motor - with the superblends - great bike.

• Like Like x 2
  13. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    That's the puppy! Just what he had. I seem to remember that I blagged a ride on that as well. Comfy seat but a wide tank that was a bit uncomfortable. The Trident was the exact opposite. I could have got used to either!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. owen thomas

owen thomas Member

Aug 10, 2020
    s.e. Michigan
    Wanted to start with a nice bike, looked at a couple not so nice, so paid high$$$ for a good place to start.

Photo is as bought.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    If anyone - particularly in the US - is looking for a REALLY nice Commando I can put you in touch with the owner of this rare, early model. It's in Northern California. Asking 8kUSD.

[​IMG]

16. owen thomas

owen thomas Member

Aug 10, 2020
    s.e. Michigan
    This 70's Commando thread is on a Triumph site. Besides my current Commando project, I do have a lot of other stuff around here including a long dormant, unfinished Triumph project in my back room.

DSCN1954 crop.jpg

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

• Like Like x 7