I Didn’t Think I’d Sell My Thruxton R Then I Rode This…

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Phill748, May 21, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Phill748

Phill748 New Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Newbury
    Can’t believe I’m saying this but I’ve traded my beautiful white Thruxton R in having ridden a speed triple RR yesterday.

I’ve got a Panigale 899 also, which is my garage queen but can’t do uk trackdays on it due to noise levels. I’ve had so many sportsbikes etc I wanted to step slightly away from that on the road, and love the thruxton but I find that because it’s so far the other way I often get stuck on which bike to ride with limited time. I’ve also borrowed a bike to do a few trackdays so….

I test rode a speed triple yesterday, wasn’t the best situation as the quickshifter on it had failed, but still I rode the bike for a good few hours from Triumph Cheltenham off towards Monmouth and Ross on wye etc. it took me a while to get used to, specifically the suspension as I’ve never ridden electronic suspension before so I needed miles to get a feel before I changed any modes.

my initial observations were that the bike feels a touch slow to steer/sat on its bum however this was confirmed later bin the ride by changing to normal suspension mode and it steered much more like I expected.

the engine is a weapon… totally shocked me, and I’m fairly used to a modern R1 as I rode one last year for trackdays. The triple howl is there and it’s pretty thrilling, and thankfully they have got rod of the annoying engine whistle all my Daytona’s had.

Seating position, no more extreme than my Thruxton which has the lower clip ons fitted, and what gets missed in the reviews is that it has quite a flat seat, where as normally sportsbikes seats roll you forward.

In the end I got what I think is a good deal, within a few hundred of the cheapest prices being offered by dealers on bike trader so several thousand off RRP. I’ve gone with a red one, it the pic is the one I test rode.

I’ll post some more updates when I pick it up. I’ll miss the Thruxton for sure, but I can’t justify a 3 bike garage and needed a more jack of all trades.

76A199F3-395A-43C8-93AA-75CB2FFE9AB8.jpeg
    10864E14-0B42-47F5-A91F-4970F797C7F0.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Coincidentally when I rode the Street Triple RS demo from Cheltenham last weekend and, like you, headed west, the quick shifter was dodgy on that too.

Worked perfectly going down the box, but not up.

Great bike, but wasn't disappointed to be back on my Street Scrambler afterwards.

They are keen for me to try the Speed Triple RS. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OneEyeMan

OneEyeMan Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2019
    USA
    I traded in my Thruxton RS for the S3 RS.
    Loved the Thruxton, but the S3 is such a hoot to ride.

IMG_4273.jpeg

Speed Triple 1200 RS.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  4. BT81

BT81 Member

Jul 31, 2021
    Lichfield
    As someone how had a Thruxton RS and traded it in for the Speed RR and totally regret the decision. Every. Single. Say!

There is nothing on the RR I prefer to the Thruxton RS.
    Comfort. Lots worse!
    Performance. Yes it's faster. But is less exciting as it does such a 'good job of hiding the speed. IE. You go faster on the RR for sure. But when you did 80mph on the Thruxton you knew you were doing it.
    Suspension. Obviously the RR is 'better' but on the Thruxton the ride was more exciting as the bike moved around more at normal ish speeds.

But..this is the joy. Everyone has a different view :)

Sounds like you'll enjoy it! :)