Humming When Ignition On

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bret Morey, Apr 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    I just recently picked up a Scrambler 1200xc. This is my first fuel injected ride, so I am clueless. Hoping someone here can either put my concerns to rest, or tell me I need to get the bike into the dealership. The question I have is about the sounds the bike makes when you flip the ignition on. I push up on the "on switch" and my electronics wake up. Then I push it down into the run position, and I can hear what I assume is the sound of the fuel pump running for a few seconds and then it shuts off. Once the fuel pump stops running you can hear a hissy/humming/ squealy sound that is constant. It almost sounds like like high pressure air leaking through a tiny leak; and at times almost sounds like the squealy sound of dodgy electonics.

Is this normal? If so, can anyone tell me what I am hearing.

Thanks.

-Bret

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    #2 Red Thunder, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    I suspect that would be the throttle position sensor (TPS)
    As said, the fuel pump primes then there is the whine of a small electric motor (although not constant) I believe this is the TPS as it does a self check

Does this every time I switch my Speed Triple on

So all normal and nothing to worry about

I could be talking bollocks but I do get the same squealing high pitched noise at each start up on both Speed Triples I have owned so I hope it is normal

Edit: I think the valve is the Idle Air Control valve, opening the throttle body just enough to maintain tickover

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I get that constant hissy/humming/squealy noise on my Bonnevile Speedmaster (essentialy the same 1200 engine as yours I believe). Sounds to me very like the squeal you get from high frequency electrical transformers. I've assumed the noise was normal, but it does sound rather unnerving. Probably should actually ask next time I'm at the dealers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Idle Air Control valve

This what I meant to say it was in my earlier post
    This is a little motor that controls the air to the throttle bodies when the throttle is completely closed, essentially controlling the opening needed to maintain a constant tickover

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    The noise I hear is without the engine running, just turning the ignition on. I'm not completely sure, but Bret's original message is talking about using the engine kill switch (I never use that) but not starting the engine (?).

If we are talking about the same conditions, then I would say it seems a little odd that there should be noisy activity around the injector area before the engine is started. But then, mines always done that, and I've done 6000+ miles without engine running problems :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You say it hums, can you recognise the tune ? That would give us a bit more to go on. ;);)

Sorry. :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bret Morey

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    To all but andypandy, Thanks for the affirmation that this is normal. Now that you all mentioned possible sources I got thinking more and realized it does actually sound like a high frequency, high precision, high torque servo working to maintain position.

To anypandy, It's either Mary Had a Little Lamb, or Breadfan; but I'm not sure which.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Probably just the fuel pump running . Normal.

My Street Twin has a similar sound. Fuel pump running. Been riding it for over a year now and 5,000 miles with no issues. But if you are still concerned take it to a dealer for a check up. Or turn the key on a new identical bike at the shop and see if it has the same sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    My Street Triple goes on making weird noises for ages after I've turned the ignition off and I'm not talking about cooling ticks. It sounds like R2D2.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bret Morey

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    Just to be clear. The noise I hear is before I ever start the bike. The new 1200 is keyless, so you push up on a switch to turn on the dash and lights, the push down on the switch to put the engine in "go mode", after that you can push down further on the switch to start the motor. The sound I here is when I do the first click down on the switch but before I push down further to actually start it. At first you hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds, then once the fuel pump kicks off I hear the high pitched oscillating whining sound.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there, I've also noticed this noise on my speed triple rs.
    I know it sounds bonkers but (on mine at least) its coming from the TFT screen. Yep, really!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Oh joy, summat else for Triumph to sort outo_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bret Morey.
    Welcome to the Family if I have not said it before. But my Bonneville does exactly the same as soon as you turn the key on away it goes singing and hissing. Not really bothered me as I did assume it was just the machine talking to itself and getting ready.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Just picked up a 2016 Speed Triple and found this high pitch sound when I turn on the ignition.
    My old Speedy doesn't have this sound.

Guess its nothing to worry about after reading this thread.
    Just wanted to do a quick post and say thanks, saved me a trip to the mechanic, cuz it does sound like something it broken.

It does seems like this is "normal" for some cars and bikes after reading about it.
    Did a search for "high pitch sound throttle body" and you get a lot of hits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ian Li

Ian Li New Member

Jan 31, 2022
    US
    #15 Ian Li, Jan 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    Hello, is there any update about the root cause of this phenomena? I just noticed this on my 2018 Bonneville T100 (under 3k miles) in my seventh month of ownership, and Google leads me to this post.

The noise starts when turns on the bike (no matter by key or by switching the engine start/stop switch from STOP to RUN position), even before the self check completes. I've made a video:

I am not sure whether it's still there after the engine started.

• Like Like x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes my 18 bonnie does the same even louder sometimes and yes even when i pull in for petrol and take the key out it still sings for a moment or so. Just the norm. All the gadgetry talking to itself and sending signals to the bikes brain.
    Joe.

17. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Noise is normal, mine sounds same. For these ride-by-wire throttles I reckon it's the servo that operates the butterfly valves in the throttle bodies. Well, that's my theory anyway. If I remember correct, twisting the throttle with engine off makes the whine change, which is probably why I came to the butterfly valve servo theory.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Andrew G

Andrew G New Member

Dec 25, 2023
    TN
    I don't think this is normal as my bike just recently started doing this. I went to ride and discovered that my battery didn't have enough juice to start, so I jumped it. I noticed that my fuel gage was way off and reading 3 miles worth of fuel when it was at 50 miles before the jump. I rode for 30 mins and it did not reset. I also noticed a similar sound as in the video had statmrted when the bike was in the run position and does not stop. I think it's coming from the throttle positioner as leakby from a faulty relay or something. I'm think of seapping out the whole assembly