Thruxton How To Remove Baffles From Eu (not Us) V&hs?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Cafe Racer, Jul 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    #1 Cafe Racer, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Thinking that the C-clip with welded spot applies to both US and EU spec V&H slip ons, I decided to remove the baffles from the latter fitted to my Thruxton R, safe in the knowledge that if this modification turned out to be too loud, I could simply refit the baffle and clip to each can.

It turns out I was wrong as I can't even remove them in the first place; instead of the C-clip with spot weld that I expected to find, I have a restrictive contraption welded in place in at least three places that I can see - and perhaps more that I can't.

See this photo shot from inside the exhaust pipe looking towards the tail pipe.

20180725_163045.jpg

Can any forum member who has done this mod to a 1200 Thruxton with EU V&Hs please share their experience of doing it and subjectively, how loud the end result is?

2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I looked at it on my pipes but the baffle looks like it’s assembled before the outer sheath is installed..
    It may be better to bite the bullet and buy an additional set of loud cans.

3. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Yep, that’s better than biting the bullet

4. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Thank you, Andy. :cool:

That's mega-helpful, especially with the photos to visualise your explanation - even if once done, there's no going back! I've already taken the intake snorkel off so will try the V&H mod before deciding whether to de-cat.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    One further question that came to mind on the ride home from work (on my owned-from-new 1998 Honda Hornet, shhhh). As beautiful-looking, massively capable and 600 sportsbike-quick as the Hornet is, the exhaust note is bland even with the equivalent mod having been done 19 years ago to what we are now discussing for my Thruxton R. This is especially-so on the overrun where it just makes less noise. No soul.

If I make the above modification to the Thruxton's V&H cans, will I lose the lovely popping and burbling on the overrun? It might seem trivial (and it is in the scheme of things) but I do rather like it.

Thanks, Andy or anyone else with such experience.

6. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK

Cool, thanks! My train of thought was that because the Thruxton pops more with the V&Hs - which have more baffling than the standard cans - opening them up would remove this characteristic.

Cheers!
    CR

7. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    BTW Andy - Nice paddock stand! Which one is it, please? I currently use a Oxford Premium Paddock stand but need to modify it because the leverage isn't enough for my wife to lift the bike whilst I hold it vertical; she prefers not to do the holding and I prefer not to routinely try and do the lift by myself even though I can.

Your paddock stand looks perfect as the amount it lifts the bike is much less than the Oxford stand, and with what seems like a similar length lever, the mechanical advantage will consequently be greater with yours.

(I've just noticed your stand is on a lift, so hope they are not part of one item!)

8. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Thanks, Andy :)

Close-up the welding seems to leave something to be desired - at least on the image in the ebay advert - so I will go ahead and get a price for having my Oxford stands cut down and compare with the ebay option.

Cheers!

9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I don’t know if this is helpful or not.
    I use Harris stands front and rear, I use both on my own and the leaverage seems about right 95A102FD-7B5F-4FB1-A4C5-2051387D6645.jpeg 76DF59F6-5BF1-4E14-84ED-CFE0B6CF54CE.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    A tip for anyone else doing this baffle mod.

From the exit end, the inside diameter of my V&Hs is 41mm so I took a gash piece of 50mmx20mm softwood and made a plug with my 42mm hole saw. I then sanded the plug evenly down to a fraction under 41mm in order that it could slide inside the V&Hs without getting stuck.

5 minutes' work well spent as the plug then dropped perfectly inside each V&H where the 5mm pilot hole from the hole saw stopped my 5mm metal drill from skating around. The result was two nicely central 5mm holes that I then drilled out to 10mm. I'll listen to what the result sounds like before I go any bigger; if necessary I can go up to 32mm with my step drill bit.

Whilst the mod can be done with the cans in situ, I removed mine in order to have better control of the angle I drilled at as well as let the swarf drop out; not necessary, but to my mind preferred for a tidy job.

Stand by for another post over the next day or so.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Today's update.

With the catalyst still in place, the 10mm hole in each V&H baffle has made the square root of bugger all difference to perceived sound and noise level at idle, full chat or anything in between. As indicated from posts I have read it certainly seems that the cat is the most effective baffle in the system!

As the next stage though, my step drill is currently at a local metalworking shop being welded on to a 20cm metal rod to allow it to reach to the baffle. I feel a pair of 32mm holes coming on - the largest that this drill will make in the 41mm baffle.

12. Taipan

Taipan Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Essex
    On BMWs, people often just removed the end can as the Cat was still so good at silencing! I fitted a Remus end can to a 1150GS and it hardly made any difference. i had to remove the cat to get any sort of sound from the bike. Can you not get a de-cat pipe fo these bikes?

13. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    #11 Cafe Racer, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Thanks for the link, Taipan. Although I won't be doing it, still interesting to see.

A local welding shop made my step drill extension today, so this evening I drilled the baffles out to their maximum diameter; they are in fact a long perforated tube, originally with end closest to the exhaust outlet closed, so when this is drilled out the baffle becomes a pipe that is open at both ends.

I ended up putting the cans back on the bike for the drilling because as the step drill reached an ever larger diameter, so the torque became too much to safely hold. The cans therefore need to come back off for me to clean the swarf out - and whilst I'm at it I will polish the cut ends of the baffle tube, but see the embedded image to understand what I described above.
    20180802_193946.jpg

The sound at tickover is a little deeper and louder, so a road test is in order tomorrow before I decide to decat.

One other thing I did was put the intake snorkel back on having ridden for a few days without it. Yes, it made the bike sound like an angry demon being poked with a stick but it had no class and nothing added to the symphony. Just a boom for the sake of noise.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    E385709C-D1A2-4C71-8047-51AB5DF569D2.jpeg Just fitted a pair of stainless V&H with removable baffles and the sound is perfect, nice and deep with a bit of a growl at the top end 175D3D9E-FE47-4908-AFFC-BEA44CAFBF54.jpeg

15. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    This is the removable baffle which does kill the sound quite considerably considering how small a restriction it is FE6F6E8A-C1B0-4CBA-AD2B-B16D89CE70B1.jpeg 377BC6E9-D67A-4F11-BE48-0D110422B0A8.jpeg

16. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    In conclusion guys if you’re happy with the sound leave as is ,but I think you’re going to have to remove the parts that look like a pig snout to get the real gain. Hope this helps

17. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    Thanks for the reminder to post back after riding the bike with the non-removable EU spec V&H baffles drilled out; as with your US spec V&Hs and to use your words; the sound is perfect, nice and deep with a bit of a growl at the top end. The amount of popping on the overrun is perfect too, so at least for the moment I'll not bother with the fiddly de-cat and x-pipe.

18. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Great. All’s well one of my friends has the straight through downpipes with the open can that I’ve just bought and it’s ear shattering,so I’ll stick with the cat as well