Hot Start Advice

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ian Cousins, Oct 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ron Prichard

Ron Prichard New Member

Apr 21, 2020
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that. I'm currently running a Motobatt (previously a Yuasa) and am considering a Shindengen R/R but don't want to spend the cash unless I know that will be a fix.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A relay is basically an electrically actuated switch that uses a small current to connect a big one: starter motors, electric windows (on H-D and Gold Wings!) etc.
    Batteries give out more juice when warmed, relays however tend to then make feeble connections. They are cheap, generic items (don’t pay OEM prices) and a plug in swap. That would be my first attempt at a fix for lazy warm cranking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ron Prichard

Ron Prichard New Member

Apr 21, 2020
    New Zealand
    Thanks for that.

4. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
  5. The Smoke

The Smoke New Member

Apr 20, 2020
    London
    Back again. Street Triple Hot start problem back again. Reg/rec replaced. Battery replaced. Rad cap replaced. Big service. Still happening. Weak crank when hot and won't start. Lots of googling, widespread problem (Street, Speed, Daytonas). No clear solution, or is there? Beyond me to drill into a motor and add a wire. But someone else suggested replacing the battery wires with thicker ones? Thanks!

6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Use a jump lead as a temporary earth path and see if that improves things?
    If so you may have corrosion at the terminals but either way would eliminate or confirm the earth before disassembly of anything as that may mask the issue.

Are you 100% sure the starter relay is good?
    One of our groups 675R had a dubious one and was found to be the cause of intermittent starting troubles.

7. The Smoke

The Smoke New Member

Apr 20, 2020
    London
    Use a jump lead as a temporary earth path and see if that improves things?
    Thanks. Do mean take the wire off the negative battery terminal and connect that terminal to the metal frame? I don't think it is the battery. Battery looks good and is only 2 years old.

Yes, sure the starter relay is good. Was all tested by Triumph dealer when they did the reg/rec.

I have spent the money on the fix, but it ain't fixed sadly.

8. The Smoke

The Smoke New Member

Apr 20, 2020
    London