Featured Horn Relocation

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dan_90, Apr 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dan_90

Dan_90 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Colchester
    I did this a while ago now but have only just got around to documenting for anyone else who might want a tidied horn location.
    From day 1 of getting my Speed Triple I always felt the factory horn location looked like a bit of an after thought. Add to this the experience of horns going very rusty and unsightly in a short time (honestly what do they make these things out of, old baked bin tins!) I've been looking for a better location.
    An old Bandit I had I was able to move the horn to under the tank for a very tidy install. Having checked under the Speed tank and removing the battery and tray there simply isn't room.
    After some head scratching a thought occurred. "How about mounting under the headlight frame as many sportsbikes do?" A quick check up there and it seems someone at Triumph thought of this too as there is an M6 threaded hole ready and waiting. Excellent! So that is now where my horn sits out of sight.
    [​IMG]

For anyone else looking to do this you will need the following:
    65mm M6 bolt (http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-6mm-A2-S...6306531?varId=630139365101&txnId=850337941023)
    50mm M6 spacer (http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/M6-Clearenc...334863?varId=541041808779&txnId=1393914435014)
    1. Remove the left-hand panel by the radiator.
    2. The wiring for the horn is wrapped with the left indicator, you'll need to remove the electrical tape as far back as you can. (I took it back to where the wires came into contact with the frame.)
    3. Rewrap the wires so the horn and indicator are separate.
    4. Feed the horn wires over the radiator and up to under the headlight. [​IMG]
    5. If you haven't already done so, remove the horn from its factory mount. Save the washer we'll use this again.
    6. Pass your new bolt through the horn, washer and spacer and bolt into the hole just behind the headlight clamp. [​IMG]
    7. Reconnect the horn and give it a test.
    8. And you're done. Congratulate yourself with a beer or your preferred beverage.
    I hope that all makes sense.

• Like Like x 12
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
    That's a really neat fit and great instructions/pics. Going to fit a single fiamm or Dinali as want something louder than the useless stock item but don't want the faff of a compressor. Hopefully it will fit in the same location as yours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dan_90

Dan_90 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Colchester
    Sounds like a plan. Hopefully the new model still has the spare threaded hole.

5. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    I've got a 2018 Speed Triple R and the reg/rec is now mounted under the headlamps. Has anyone found somewhere else to mount the horn out of sight?

6. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I got a pair of car horns (slightly bigger and better twin tone sound) and put them here, one facing out each side, not easy to squeeze them in but pleased with the result. I'm guessing it might not be possible with 2016> bikes, bet the space is already used for more electronics?
    2018-06-30_14-50-22.JPG 2018-06-30_14-50-52.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  7. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Looks interesting. How did you fasten them on?

8. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    The horns came with mounting straps already attached with hole at end, assembled them on to a length of M8 studding and that was positioned across the fuel rail support bracket, all clamped up with nuts and washers.
    Warning! - you need the patience of a saint, had to temporarily disconnect a few pipes and cables to gain access and still very fiddly to get everything positioned just right for it to work.
    Put a relay near the battery (twin car horns pull more current than OE bike horn) and wired back to that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    At least you've always got a second career open to you as a Gynaecologist....

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    That's great, thanks for your help. I'll take the tank off and see if I can do a similar thing. It's not easy to gauge the available space until you can get in from above.

11. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    When you take the tank off all you’ll see is airbox and battery, no room for anything else. :worried:

12. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Can't comment for post 2015 bikes (most likely space used by extra electronics), but it's definately possible (with significant cussing) on older bikes. If you're up for it (you'll need to remove airbox as well) here's some pointers.....
    IMAG1048.jpg
    IMAG1026.jpg
    IMAG1029.jpg
    IMAG1035.jpg
    IMAG1036.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
  14. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member